Cleaning out the oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunk Monkey

Reaction score
I used the advice i read on here about using oxyclean to get the labels off of old bottles. I was going to be away for a couple of days so I just let them soak. Now the oxyclean has settled on the bottom of the bottles and it won't rinse out. I used a bottle brush, but it won't get the stuff out of the bottom corners. Any suggestions on how to get the oxyclean out of the bottles?

I think next time, i will sit the bottles upside down.

Oxyclean starts working immediately and I don't think it should be left to soak after it does it's stuff, It seams to fall out if suspension and leave a residue.
I always rinse it after a few hours.

But that doesn't help you.

I've heard people say they use vinegar to get rid of residue. I wouldn't leave that too long before rinsing either.

Genghis77 said:
Anyone use hydrogen peroxide as a sanitizer? Seems it would be pretty much like Oxyclean.

Oxyclean is NOT a sanitizer. I'm not sure about H2O2, but it is certainly impractical. Considering that sanitation is the bedrock of good brewing at any level, this is something you should not play around the edges on or try to skimp on. Get a good, effective, homebrew sanitizer like Iodophor, or Star San, or one of the other recognized types. I would suggest a no-rinse type mixed to the manufacturers specs.

I have read where hydrogen peroxide is used as a sanitizer in the food industries, But imgine something stronger than the standard 3% would be used. I have also read it also aids in seed germination. Just seemed it might be an alternative to using bleach. Anything requiring rinsing with water is definitely a step backward.

I've used peroxide with good success, get the large bottles from your local pharmacist or local chemical supply house. And yes white vinegar will clean up the oxyclean.

Back