Oatmeal Rye IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Howdy!
Trying to figure out this recipe, it's all in my head, so i'm not sure of the IBUs at the moment, but i like flying by the seat of my pants... could add in some carafaIII to CDA it up a bit

9lbs 2row
3lbs flaked oats
3lbs rye
.5lbs 60L

150* 60 min mash
---------------------
1oz cascade 60min
---------------------------
1oz cascade 10min
1oz simcoe 10min
2oz simcoe 0min
2oz simcoe DH 5 days
2oz cascade DH 5 days

S-05

should i change anything?

sounds interesting. thats gunna be a real chewy IPA tho with all that rye & oat

Do not exceed 10-15% of the grist with flaked grains. Believe it or not, there's stuff in there you don't want, like oils and fats, which for this kind of beer are detrimental in too large a quantity. Especially with flaked oats.

If you have half-decent mashing procedure, you won't need rice hulls. You've got plenty of husk material.

Why does everyone start going "Oooo, you need rice hulls!" when the amount of unhusked grist goes about 20%? You don't need rice hulls with 50% unhusked grain! Hell, Weissbier brewers do 40/60% pils/wheat with no rice hulls. You need to grind and dough in properly, plus vorlauf and run off carefully. That's it! You know, like a brewer does. ;)

Don't use ingredients as a crutch to get around poor technique. "I can't actually pedal a bike, so I bolted this motor on." :p Take your time, run off properly, and you won't stick your mash.

Cheers,

Bob :mug:

thanks for the insight guys!
looks like i hit a good brew recipe with this one.
so, should i knock back the oats to around 1.5-2lbs?

Sounds good! As soon as I get a new thermometer. It's on like donkey Kong! Thanks for the help! BTW. Your porter recipe is delicious

Why does everyone start going "Oooo, you need rice hulls!" when the amount of unhusked grist goes about 20%? You don't need rice hulls with 50% unhusked grain! Hell, Weissbier brewers do 40/60% pils/wheat with no rice hulls. You need to grind and dough in properly, plus vorlauf and run off carefully. That's it! You know, like a brewer does. ;)

Cheers,

Bob :mug:

Bob is right. I rarely have stuck mashes, except for a recent heavy rye and a heavy oat beer. In those case, I could have avoided problems by changing my normal procedures a bit.

I like to do an initial drain of my mash followed by two equal sparges. Well the wort from these particular mashes were a bit thick (plus my manifold fell apart on one!). If I had added some extra water before my first draining, I would have had no problems. Once the initial drain was done for these, the next two sparges went very smoothly.

I <3 Olde Skool video game references. ;)

if only you could see my olde skool collection! ;)

Got back from the home brew shop 60 dollars lighter :mug:
Got the ingredients. a floating thermometer, a recalibratable thermometer, more star san (old one busted all over the place), rice hulls just incase, a new bottling wand, and some other little misc stuff.

accidentally got too much 2row. so i think the recipe is changing a bit lol.

9lbs 2row
3lbs flaked oats
3lbs rye
.5lbs 60L

150* 60 min mash
---------------------
1oz cascade 60min
1oz cascade 10min
1oz simcoe 10min
2oz simcoe 0min
2oz simcoe DH 5 days
2oz cascade DH 5 days

S-05

so it will be something like this.

Color

Stats
OG 1.090
FG 1.023
IBU 68
OG 1.090
FG 1.023
IBU 68
SRM 10
ABV 8.6
Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
75.9 % 15.00 American Two-row Pale 70.6 4.9
15.2 % 3.00 Rye 11.5 1.9
5.1 % 1.00 Flaked Oats 4.2 0.4
3.8 % 0.75 American Crystal 60L 3.2 8.2
19.75 89.5
Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
25.0 % 2.00 Cascade Whole/Plug 6.6 13.2 60 0.182 32.8
25.0 % 2.00 Simcoe Whole/Plug 13.0 26.0 10 0.066 23.4
25.0 % 2.00 Cascade Whole/Plug 6.6 13.2 10 0.066 11.9
25.0 % 2.00 Simcoe Whole/Plug 13.0 26.0 0 0.000 0.0

dry hop with 2 oz each of cascade and simcoe...

wonderig also... this seems like it will be a bit sweet as well.. that i am worried about, IBU is at 68 or so.
If i throw in an oz of simcoe at 60, it'll bump it to 100IBU...
Should i change the recipe for that? or am i god with the late hops and just some bittering?

Back