Going to Annapolis, MD....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challenger440

Reaction score
My SIL is at the Naval Academy and we are visiting her this weekend. So are there any local brews I need to try to get a hold of?
:mug:

I was raised in Annapolis. Downtown is awesome and their are some many places to go. Ram's Head Tavern on West Street Carries Fordhams and Old Diminion brews. Fordham's copperhead is on of my favorite and is only worth drinking on draft. (they suck in the bottle). Another place to go is Middletons Tavern right by the Market House. They have a Oyster ale they serve with their oyster shooters that's pretty tasty. McGarveys (next door)also has their own house beer that's not bad. I think its called "Clipper" something or other. they have good grouper tacos

Now there is a place that tourists don't know about that has about 30-40 beers on tap. It's between west annapolis (the mall) and Downtown. It's called Heros Pub. Very basic bar and grill dedicated/themed to the fireman.

I'd be more than happy to help you get around.

It's also worth it to hit Pussers Grill and Dock bar for a Pain Killer (it's in the Marriott). There is alos a Gordon Bierch near the mall.

I would personally avoid Acme, Federal House and O'briens unless you like more of a party scene after hours.

I was there last weekend. Pussers Grill has a few micro's on tap. If I recall: Flying Dog Doggie Sytle Classic pale ale, Heavy Seas Holy Sheets Belgian PA, Shinerbock, and one other I can't remember.

Clipper City (who are in the middle of changing their name to Heavy Seas), Fordham, and Flying Dog are the best 3 breweries in MD. None are world-shattering but they all have some good stuff that you should be able to find around the area.

WCrane talked about Fordham.

Heavy Seas Small Craft Warning is an imperial pilsner that's worth trying. Their Below Decks barleywine has versions aged in various barrels (wine and bourbon at least) as well as the plain version that make for a neat little comparison if you can find them--I'm not sure how widely they're available. The Letters of Marque Rye Porter is quite good, too.

Flying Dog Raging ***** Belgian IPA and Gonzo Imperial Porter are both pretty good. There's a Wild Dog barrel-aged version of the Gonzo that I haven't had a chance to try but sounds like a winner to me.

Old Dominion used to be in Virginia (it's moved to Delaware); again nothing phenomenal but the Oak Barrel Stout is a good solid beer. Starr Hill (Virginia) can probably be found there too; they're pretty average, IMO. Nothing bad but no real stand-outs.

great run down Sumner and I totally agree
Had to bring up my hometown, man I miss it BAD...But like mentioned above most of the establishments carry the Maryland Brewries.

I forgot to mention Ram's Head carries about 100 beers on tap or in bottle from all over. I was apart of the beer club but the wife drug me north shortly after. Also Ram's Head has a really cool bar downstairs it's very cool, like steeping back in time. And a nice outside garden in the back. it was one of my favorites

I double checked and McGarvey house ale is called "Aviator" (not clipper something or other) It's good, not great, but worth a sample.

Now if you in town in the future for commencement week stick around downtown when the Blue Angels fly. The pilots come out downtown after and can been scene in their flight suits at several of the bars around the market house usually with middle age and older women hanging all over them.

Thanks for all the tips guys! My inlaws took me to Rams head. I had their sampler which gave me 5 Fordham brews and the Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout. If I remember right the 5 Fordham brews were: Copperhead, a light lager, a helles lager, a pale ale, and a saison. All were great brews. I fell in love with the Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout. I had never had the pleasure of having a stout that had bourbon and vanilla but after that, I think I might have to add a version of that in the brew schedule.

Thanks again for the tips!

Tried some heavy seas pale pale last night at slyfox, it was really good. It seem slightly under hopped to me, but it was still a really nice smooth english pale ale.

It might be too late, but Lures Bar and Grill in Crownsville (out past the Mall) has a good selection of hard to find beers and great food.

Also, Dawson's Liquors in Severna Park has an outstanding selection of beer.

I don't know if this is to far out but, Evolution Craft Brewery is in Delmar, DE.
They just opened last year. Doing tours & I believe just became legal for them
to serve pints.
MB

Back