NB Dry Irish Stout - Stopped fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
Started a batch of NB Dry Irish Stout on Saturday morning using Wyeast 1084Irish Ale Yeast.

By sunday morning it was fermenting vigorously with krausen to the top of the Better Bottle and into the blowoff tube.

By monday morning it was less active, and by monday night it wasn't showing any signs of fermentation and the krausen was completely gone.

The basement where I had it stored was right around 62-64 degrees F. I had a blanket around it the whole time. By monday the temp in the basement had dropped to around 60 degrees.

I decided to move it monday night upstairs to the 2nd floor in a closet and the temp in there is 68 degrees. I did the swirled it around to get the yeast suspended. Since moving (less than 48 hrs) I see no signs of fermentation.

Question, how long should I expect it to take for the yeast to wake back up and start showing some Co2 love in the blowoff tube. I know, I know RDWHAHB.:mug:

i have this problem with different ingredients.

had mine at 68 F and after 3 days the karu is almost completely gone.

This is the first time that I had this happen. I thought the blanket would have saved it from the lower temp...brew and learn I guess.

Will have to wait and see what the out come is. Any additional advise is greatly welcomed.

Cheers

It sounds normal to me. The krausen phase is over, cleanup phase starting. I'd say wait till the weekend, then check gravity. In the meantime, relax. It could just be, possibly maybe, that the yeast knows what it's doing.

frazier,

Took your advice, and checked my gravity last night. I am happy to report that what I had was just a very fast fermentation. OG 1.042 - Recent Gravity 1.012. I'm going to let it sit for another 1 to 2 weeks before I bottle. Gravity sample tasted delicious!

Cheers

...making the same kit as we speak. Off to a running start! Most active fermentation I've had (only my 3rd batch). I could easilly see this pretty quiet in a couple of days.

Just bottled mine on saturday (1 week primary / 2 weeks secondary) I used Munton's KreamyX as the priming sugar. I can't wait to try this one. I think it will be my best beer yet.

Cheers

Actually am into the bottling phase as I type this on that exact same kit. Same thing happened to me, yeast went crazy overnight and blew out my airlock made a big mess but still kept churning. So my friends and I dubbed this Mordor ale since it exploded like Mt. Doom, I know huge geek reference, but it calmed down about 3-4 days later. I let it sit for like 3-4 weeks and am bottling it as we speak, let me know how yours tastes and I shall let you know how mine turned out.

ForeverYoung,

Hey, I tried this after only one week in the bottle.....very good stout. I will try again this weekend and next, and so on. I like to try them early after bottling and see how the taste progresses over the following weeks. Then when I hit about 3 to 4 weeks after bottling....drink the hell out of em. Cheers:mug:

Back