Materials for fermentation/lagering cabinets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czucker

Reaction score
Inspired by Tim Weber's build I've started to plan out my own similar project.

Here is a rough mock up:
Cabinet%20%28Revised_r2%29.jpg

I'm not going to bother with framing it, I'm pretty much just planning a box consisting foam insulation sandwiched between layers of plywood or OSB. . . Which leads me the reason for this post. . .

I'm a little bit concerned about the moisture resistance of the board material that I use.

I want to use OSB because I like the price, but I'm worried about it swelling from the damp conditions. With blowoff potentially bubbling over here and there and general condensation I'm concerned.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to seal OSB? Maybe with some oil based paint?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. . .

Thanks,
Chris

Excellent idea!

On a more general note. . . To anybody who has built an insulated cabinet. . .

Has mold been an issue?

Excellent idea!

On a more general note. . . To anybody who has built an insulated cabinet. . .

Has mold been an issue?

http://www.damprid.com/

I haven't used it yet, but this stuff is supposed to work well.

Also, what's with that little window on the right? Are you going to have a midget in there too? Aren't you worried he'll drink all the fermenting beer?

Luckily the midget is a teetotaler. . . The window isn't for him anyway though.

I'm going to be using an A/C unit to cool the thing.

I'll check out the DampRid. Thanks.

I would also check the millworks section at Home Depot or Lowes. They sell a plastic backer board for installing tile in showers that is very durable and cheap. I bought a 4 x 8 sheet for 8 or 9 dollars to use as screening material for a projector. Awesome stuff.

Or buy plastic sheeting sold in various sized rolls and various thicknesses. Use a stapler to apply for a moisture barrier for your OSB and foam insulation.

Latest posts

Back