accidentally mashed at 125*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
...though after realizing it (2 minutes in) I turned on the burner and stirred the thing for 15 minutes until I got to 158 and mashed there for the remainder.

I went to 158* to compensate, good or bad idea? I was aiming for 155* and wasn't paying attention to the temperature I had my instant hot water heater set to so used 140* water instead of 167* :drunk: I wasn't even drinking too!

EDIT: You know, it's funny. I already did it, the beer is not going to change from now till the glass. I have no powers to turn back time. I guess that I ask the question so that I don't worry for the next two weeks, but in the end I will just have to wait to find out if it turned out good or not. Just talking....

The idea of compensating for a low start doesn't apply. A dough-in at 125F doesn't do much for modern malts, maybe cut the protein haze a bit. So, no problem there. Depending on how fast you heated the mash, you'll end up with a slightly higher final gravity and a maltier beer. A slow (~10 minutes) passage through the 140-150F range would have given the beta enzymes plenty of time.

Back