Will a pumpkin explode if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I throw it in a bonfire. I was at a Halloween party last night and someone suggested throwing an uncarved pumpkin into the bonfire. We debated whether it would explode or not. Had it not been for little kids running around, we would have tried it (no amount of jewelry would have made up for burning kids with exploding pumpkin guts). The theory is that the air inside the pumpkin would expand as it got hotter. With no outlet, the buildup would eventually cause the pumpkin to explode.

What do you think?

Having never tried it, and not knowing anything about the science, I cannot say for sure, but I'd guess not. Having cooked any number of vegetables whole, I'd guess that before it got to explosive pressure levels, a soft spot in the rind would develop and let the pressure out. It might jet out a bit at first, but I'd think nothing too spectacular...but it'd make a cool youtube video if it did explode.

I expect it would be rather uneventful. I agree with the soft spot theory.

I do know that if you fill one with water, plug the hole, and shoot it with a high-powered rifle, it will vaporize. That sort of thing turns grown men into little boys in a hurry!

I can't imagine you'd get any kind of explosion out of it. A pumpkin just isn't going to hold much pressure.
A beer bottle on the other hand....well that sucker will fly 20 feet if you set it right. :)
It's also somewhat amusing to stick a plastic cup full of water into the fire and watch it not burn. Stupid bonfire tricks are awesome.

I think a spot would burn a hole through first and even if I didnt I dont know if there would be enough volume of air inside to really be able to do that.

what about those varnish covered pumpkins they sell pre painted at the supermarket... the varnish could keep some ofthe pressure in.

Just throw a Bic lighter in like the rest of us. I guess a pumpkin is more "green" - just make sure it was organic

No based on experimental evidence, unless pumpkins are much stronger than they were in the 1950's.

No based on experimental evidence, unless pumpkins are much stronger than they were in the 1950's.

You would be amazed at our new pumpkin technology
boat7.jpg

i think a pumpkin would plop open. Some friends and I used to sneak CO2 12 grammers into bonfires. Never even arrested, just lucky I guess...

At our homecoming game bonfire, somebody threw a couple cans of chili into the blaze. It was funny, but flying boiling chili could've hurt somebody.

Latest posts

Back