Revvy's Jamaican Spiced Banana rum Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Soperbrew on Chat today wanted me to post my recipe. I started doing mini loaves of this last year to give as "gifts" to my co-workers, and to bring to holiday parties. It was such a hit last year that I got requests to do it again. I just finished baking about 30 loaves today and will probably bake another 20-30 next week as well. I would have done it all today, BUT I cleaned out every nearly ripe banana in the grocery store last week, and today all the ones when I went back were way green.

A Few Notes Beforehand.

1) Stick your bananas in a brown paper bag for a few days and they will ripen pretty fast.

2) I use my nephew's Banana wine in this recipe, but you can use banana liqueur instead, or say screw it and double up on the spiced rum.

3) Use the cheapest Spiced rum you can find. I used Castillo brand. You will pretty much burn through an entire fifth on this recipe if you plan on making several batches, especially if you decide to play "1 shot for the batter, 1 shot for the baker" while making it. :drunk:

4) You can "marinade" the breads in the rum later by putting some in a shallow pan and dipping them, BUT it's much easier if you use a spray bottle instead.

5) If you can spray them a couple times with the rum over the period of a few days or weeks before sealing them in cling wrap and tinfoil they will be even better, as they "age" a bit, and the booze penetrates into the bread, but they are awesome as they are.

6) You can do this by hand but it's a *****, an electric beater or a stand mixer makes it a heck of a lot easier. I just got a vintage stand mixer this summer for 20 bucks at a garage sale, and it was a godsend.

7) If you are making multiple batches, loaves, don't bother cleaning out the mixer bowl, just keep dumping the ingredients in when the bowl is empty, and each batch will be a little more complex.

Ok, enough nonsense, lets get on with the show!

Revvy's Jamaican Spiced Banana Rum Bread

(Makes 10 mini loaves)

Preheat mash tun...erm I mean oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients

Mini Tinfoil Bread Pans
Pam Baking Style Cooking Spray

(wet side)
5-6 large ripened bananas mashed
2 sticks softened butter
3 1/3 cups sugar.
1/2 cup sour creme (Or plain or vanilla yogurt)
5 eggs
1/4 cup Banana Wine, or banana liquer
1/4 cup Spiced Rum
(Or if banana wine/liquer is unavailable, use 1/2 cup of Spiced Rum.)

In mixer cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and sour cream. Fold in mashed bananas. Pour in rum and banana wine. Mix at medium speed until well blended, once well blended raise the speed and whip the ingredients until frothy (about 2-3 minutes.)

(dry side)
In a separate bowl mix together;

5 cups flour
3 3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp allspice

With mixer running slowly, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones until well mixed.

Spray the baking tins with PAM and set on baking sheet. Fill each tin half way with bread mixture. (I use an ice cream scoop, and find that 4 1/2 scoops is about half way.)

Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes or until a toothpick pulls away cleanly from center of loaf.

When cool, spritz generously with rum in spray bottle (of partially fill a baking pan and quickly dunk each side in rum.)

Wrap in plastic wrap. If possible Spritz them over the course of several days. The wrap tightly in plastic wrap (tape may be needed) and then again with tinfoil.

If you feel creative you CAN wrap each loaf after with wrapping paper, but I usually just slap a ribbon and gift tag on them and say the hell with it.

Enjoy.
icon_017.gif

FYI, the banana wine I used was made by my nephew who was the vitner of his homebrew/winemaking club. You could always make your own. Yooper has a recipe on here;

Yooper's :ban: wine recipe.

Today's grand total 47 mini loaves of rum soaked goodness!!!

I decided to try to "bulk condition" them over night. I spritzed each of them with rum, then placed them all in a sanitized garbage bag. I squeezed out the air, and clipped it closed. They should hopefully be nice and mositly rummy by the time I wrap them on Monday night.

I just checked on them in the bag, they are really moist. I'm going to wrap them up now after giving them another spray of rum and banan wine mixed together.

This sounds pretty dang good Revvy. Unfortunately I'm taking a break from drinking(NOT BREWING!)/eating bad for health reasons, so it may be a while till I make this recipe, but I'm definitely gonna save it!

Hells YEAH! This is JUST the sort of recipe I needed to wow the family and friends! I'm on a low carb diet, and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Can't wait until the holidays to cheat on my diet!

OK, I'm gonna be the one to ask for the Banana wine recipe.. Willing to share it?! I got a bunch of ripe bananas waiting to do something.

OK, I'm gonna be the one to ask for the Banana wine recipe.. Willing to share it?! I got a bunch of ripe bananas waiting to do something.

Sorry I don't have the recipe, I didn't make the wine. The banana wine I used was made by my nephew who was the vitner of his homebrew/winemaking club. he hasn't made wine in a couple years much to the chagrin of my family. But I have 1 bottle left. I think Yooper has a recipe on here.

Yes she does;

Sorry I don't have the recipe, I didn't make the wine. The banana wine I used was made by my nephew who was the vitner of his homebrew/winemaking club. he hasn't made wine in a couple years much to the chagrin of my family. But I have 1 bottle left. I think Yooper has a recipe on here.

Yes she does;

Thanks!

Revvy,

I'm going to make a batch of these for Christmas. After the rum treatment, can I freeze them, or is it better to wait until closer to Christmas to make them?

Revvy,

I'm going to make a batch of these for Christmas. After the rum treatment, can I freeze them, or is it better to wait until closer to Christmas to make them?

Normally (which this year I haven't done) I start them out a month in advance (Turkeyday weekend) and get them soaking in the rum and wine. I wrap them up in plastic and tinfoil and let them "cure."

I dose them a few times during the couple weeks.

I don't freeze them or anything. The alcohol acts as a preservative.

I just did 26 loaves, and hope to knock off about the same amount tomorrow. I alterred the recipe somewhat, adding some more complexity to to the spice blend, and doing something funky with the rum.

To the above spice blend, add 3/4 tsp each of Ground Cloves, Nutmeg AND white pepper. Yes, you heard me WHITE PEPPER. It adds a bit of a bite and a savory note to it.

I also made an infusion with some of the rum. (Since I make multiple batches, I did this amount, but only use the 1/4 cup listed per batch.)

I took 1.5 cups of rum and placed in a saucepan. I took 1 tbs of sweet orange peel (the kind we get form making wits) and made a "bouquet garnier" with some cheescloth (a little packet, like a tea bag) and added it to the rum. I brought the rum up slowly on the stove til it was somewhat warm, and let the orange steep for about a half hour, and turned the stove off and let it cool before taking the orange bundle out. Evidently I didn't warm it enough to boil away the alcohol, since I tasted some and it tasted like it still had alcohol in it.

It tastes and smells awesome. In fact I will probably do some for drinking sometime.

Just gotta pick the liquor up and I'll be set to make a batch or two. Thanks for the recipe.

I'm gonna tweek this years batch...I found some dried ground orange peel today at the bulk spice shop, and I'm going to add that along with some lime zest to the spice blend. I'm also gonna add a couple TBS of Lyle's golden syrup to the batter as well. Just to see what I get.

I also got some real dried allspice berries...so I'm going to grind that up as well.

Just saw your FB posts about this and come in search of the recipe. I was sure you'd have shared it with us already. :mug:

Batter tastes great. Second half of the batch is in the oven as I type this. Pretty straight forward recipe... I had trouble creaming the sugar and butter mixture so I went ahead and added the eggs and, of course, that smoothed things out. Thanks again for the recipe.

I used a flavor injector and inject more rum into the center of them before spraying them 1 final time and then wrapping them in saran wrap. Probably Monday night I'll wrap them in tin foil, add a ribbon and my label and start passing them out.

41D-fcdQeOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Interesting.. Little injecting may not be a bad idea. Also, where do you get the mini foil pans? How small are they?

KillerKellers said:
Interesting.. Little injecting may not be a bad idea. Also, where do you get the mini foil pans? How small are they?

Ignore the size question.. Imaged don't show on the iPad unless you click them.

This will be the first time in over a decade I don't do this recipe. My 88 year old mom fell 5 weeks ago, broke her hip, had to have surgery, go into rehab, have it determined she couldn't live by herself anymore, have to go into assisted living, my sister and I had to evaluate a place over a weekend, select it, then spend a week packing my mom's old apartment and getting her stuff into the new place all over thanksgiving weekend.....which is when I usually bake the 60 loaves of this bread.

It's kinda sad. My nephew makes the banana wine that I use in this, and a couple years ago he stopped winemaking, and I was down to one bottle last year, so last Christmas I made a batch of the banana wine found on here.

I made this recipe for my fourth of july BBQ this year. Big hit. Can't wait to make it again. Sorry to hear about your family's struggles Revvy.

Thanks you two. Yeah, she's seems to be settling in OK. She's had activites, I think every day. I know 2 nights a week they play bingo. And she's got some sort of chair exercise class she goes to. And there's physical therapy. I know I've called a couple times and she hasn't been in her studio apartment, so I think she's adjusting.

This looks tasty! I have a bunch of bananas fighting my hops for room in the freezer this sound like just the thing.

Question: I don't see myself ever buying or making banana wine/liqueur. I just can't justify that for baking, I would never drink it, nor would my wife. Do you think it would be good with out? Its Christmas so I will of course be getting a couple bottles of Sailor Jerry's (I love this rum, in drinks or neat. Try it in a grog! Also good for soaking fruit cakes in rum! I think its already got some cherry and sweet orange notes to it as well)

You could always make a gallon just for this. The recipe is on here. And it's not a bad tasting wine, it's not a sickly sweet artificial tasting wine. It's like any non traditional wines on here, like a semi sweet white.

Of course you can skip it. I think it adds an extra dimension to it. But just spiced rum will be fine too.

Back