The only thing worse then one infected batch, is two

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradinator

Reaction score
So I have been out of the country for two months. Before leaving I made sure to have my carboys filled with home brewed goodness. Apparently a lot can happen in two months.

Of the four batches sitting idly, two became infected with two different types of bateria. The first one was a bravo/falconers IPA... Well I don't have a clue what it is outside of nasty. A nice, semi-translucent layer sitting ontop of the was-beer and some awful looking tile grout. The smell is undeniably like nail polish remover. Undeniably. The smell is so bad I am afraid to even try it. She is toilet bound. What kind of infection is it?

DSCF6925+%281280x960%29.jpg

The other batch was a habenero infused stout. This infection is something I think I have seen before, Lactobacillius, but would like a second opinion. The shot is from the mouth of the carboy.

DSCF6924+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

If its a lacto or other friendly bacteria I may let it ride and bottle it for consumption. Could turn into a wicked funky habenero stout.

Any idea what the first one is? Is this second one a lacto and should I bottle give it the benefit of the doubt?

Back