moldy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
i had some beer in the secondary and i looked at it and it had mold on the top of it. Can I bottle it or just throw it out??? What would cause this??? First time I had this happen.

What kind of secondary? If there wasn't a tight seal it could have gotten in that way. If you didn't sanitize everything...etc.

I was wondering if it would be possible to throw the infected beer back into the pot, and pasteurize for 20 min or so. I realize this might mess up your late hop additions, but maybe just re-hop?

Hopefully someone more experienced could answer this.

First off, howdy from a Winthrop alum! I miss Rock Hill some days. Most days I don't :)

Second, definitely post a pic. Krausen and yeast rafts come in many different forms, you could just be seeing some krausen that didn't fall or some funky yeast rafts. Even if you have mold, it likely won't even infect your beer. Just rack under it when you keg/bottle, and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

i always santized everything. it was is in a carboy. i think it was just yeast on top. i bottled everything. will check it in a couple weeks.

Odds are excellent that it was yeast rafts or floating krausen. That being said, mold won't hurt the bottled beer. Just rack from underneath it and enjoy.

I just read (and replied!) to another thread referring to a grapefruit flavor. It is probably from the hops. As I said in that thread, if you have access to beers from Founder's (brewed in southern Michigan), get yourself a Red RyePA. Great grapefruit flavors and one of my favorite beers.

Hopefully it is the hops, but without tasting, I cat tell if it is good or bad grapefruit. "Good" being hops and "bad" being something else. Sorry you don't like it.

Rest easy in the knowledge that nothing that can hurt you can grow in beer.

Still kind of curious as to these results. What kind of brew was it and how large? What kind of hops and how much? When were the hops added? Thanks.

I have heard centennial and cascade have strong citrus/grapefruit flavors.

i used both of those hops i used 1 oz of magnum at 60 1 oz of centennial at 30 and 1 oz of cascade at 15 min. for two gallon batch.

There you have it. I can say with 99% certainty that hops caused the citrus flavor. If you get me the aa% I can calculate IBU for you. Or you can google a calculator and figure it out pretty easily yourself. Keep in mind that calculated and actual IBU are often very different.

Back