The Official Disappointment Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boy

Reaction score
Thread for any and all brewing disappointments.

My most recent was a 6 month effort on Whiskey barrel aged imperial stout. Honestly the beer came out incredible, but I'm bummed that it has done poorly in a recent competition. I haven't received the scored yet but this was one I was really hoping would get a ribbon.

Only other issues would be not getting nearly enough time to focus on brewing so far this year. Unless something changes there will be no way I can hit my limit for the year.

Me neither. Darn stove is 3/4ths fubared,bank issues F't me over again. PM kit in fridge/freezer awaiting $100+ for stove parts to brew again. Out of smokes,out of beer,& it's our 35th anniversary today. Damn.
I hope we have enough charcoal & lighter fluid to go with the bit of smokin wood in the garage. Reitrement wages suck with big bills nowadays. Damn banks can't be trusted not to change #'s to get more fines & such. This sucks...:mad:

Haha... you think you did poorly in a competition. I'll raise you this: I had a Belgian Blond that my mom and all her friends loved. I even kind of liked it. I entered it into a competition and the judges told me that it smelled "FECAL". That's right, they told me my beer smelled like sh*t.

Ain't that some sh*t!

I entered it into a competition and the judges told me that it smelled "FECAL". That's right, they told me my beer smelled like sh*t.

Ain't that some sh*t!

Belgian Sh!tWit? Sounds like a Category 23 winner for sure...

Haha... you think you did poorly in a competition. I'll raise you this: I had a Belgian Blond that my mom and all her friends loved. I even kind of liked it. I entered it into a competition and the judges told me that it smelled "FECAL". That's right, they told me my beer smelled like sh*t.

Ain't that some sh*t!

Didn't pull any punches there, did they? I entered a comp that was the first Saturday of this month and I still haven't gotten my scoresheets back.

Wow! That's sh*tty AmandaK! (pun totally intended).

I just started brewing this year and so far even batch has turned out damn good, besides my imperial rye IPA, that I brewed with "waaaaay too much honey", so says my buddy that has been brewing for 10+ years...we still drank it all!

My only real disappointment is that I had to go to Montana for work and only get home every 2 weeks or so. Most of the 3 days back, I spend hanging out with my baby boy and wife, (thats not disappointing at all). Lucky for me she loves my new hobby and just asked this morning if I plan on brewing when I come home. Needless to say, my RIS will be brewed next week! So, I'm 400 miles away from home and can't brew as much as I want to...it does; however, give me plenty of time in my hotel room to read as much as possible about brewing and put together and hammer out ideas for recipes of my own...so there's a bright side I guess.

Also, right before I left for Montana, my buddy was starting on plans for a macro-brewery/pub and asked if I would like to be part of it. He and another friend have been brewing for ages, and I'd love to, but it looks like I may be moving to Montana come march :(:(:(. If anything, It seems like I'd just be a backer for the time being. I guess we'll see what the future brings.

My only real brewing disappointment so far was a blonde ale I brewed recently. It tasted great in the fermenter, but since bottling, it has tasted horrible. It is very slowly getting a little better, but after almost 6 weeks in the bottle, I'm about ready to dump it. It's only a 5% beer...no way it should be this bad after 6 weeks in the bottle. It should have fully carbonated and been drinkable in 3 weeks. Super bummed. I hate to waste money, and if I dump this batch, it'll just be $30 wasted.

Don't worry about comps as long as you score 30 or over. I entered my dubbel in one comp and scored a 31. The next one (same exact batch) it scored a 45 and won. Just keep entering and it will win.

A few batches back, I was draining off a 10G batch into 2 carboys from my boil kettle. I poured quite a bit more wort in one than the other so when I went to even them out, I picked up the full one by its handle and started pouring. The damn things slipped out of my other hand and swung into the 2nd carboy......................Worst brew day ever!!!

And for the record...it wasn't a SMaSH brew

After putting a pile of effort into an extract Bavarian Wheat beer I don't like it. To me it tastes sour, so I went out and tried a few local craft breweries versions and I seem to have got the beer pretty much to style. It just doesn't tickle my taste buds. :( 6 gallons of beer I don't like.

Out of my last 6 beers, 3 of them have had beginnings of a pellicle form... I think it's my HVAC's proximity to where I keep my fermenters... but my house is full of crap and so that room is the only place with enough room for me to work in. Last weekend's American Stout is the latest to have a filmy/skin-y bubble form on top. Going to rack it into a keg tonight, and put it in my pile of Infected Beers I Need To Fix Or Dump.

My keg of Apfelwein has a pinhole leak in the Liquid post... woke up to a half-frozen raft of apfelwein in the bottom of my fridge, cleaned that mess up before going to work.

I passed the BJCP's online examination and have tried to get a seat in the tasting exam only to find out that the tests offered in my area (within a 3 hour drive) are booked through 2013. Awesome.

Chriso said:
Out of my last 6 beers, 3 of them have had beginnings of a pellicle form... I think it's my HVAC's proximity to where I keep my fermenters... but my house is full of crap and so that room is the only place with enough room for me to work in. Last weekend's American Stout is the latest to have a filmy/skin-y bubble form on top. Going to rack it into a keg tonight, and put it in my pile of Infected Beers I Need To Fix Or Dump.

My keg of Apfelwein has a pinhole leak in the Liquid post... woke up to a half-frozen raft of apfelwein in the bottom of my fridge, cleaned that mess up before going to work.

Maybe you should clean up the crap all over your house and keep it in the toilet, might reduce the chances of infection... ;)

Really though, that sucks, been there.

Mine would be a lime lager I made for the summer, made an awesome lager, super crisp and clean, no off flavors I could pick up at all. One of the best beers I've made. I made a lime tincture with lime zest and vodka and put about a 1/3 of a cup into the keg. It was way too much, now, I've got a super limey beer that drowns out the lager and leaves a funny lime taste in your mouth. I was so pissed. Guess I should have added flavoring slowly and not gotten so much pith when I zested. Should have just left the lager as is. Live and learn I guess.

Yeah don't worry too much about comp scores. I have had a beer medal in a large comp with a 40 but the same exact beer got a 24 in another comp. I am sure many other people have similar experiences.

Well, I used 1/2 oz of Saaz that I found in the freezer for my Czech Pilsner and after 3 months of lagering and another month in the bottle, I found out the hops were stale ( they smelled ok at the time but I think back on that brew day and I think I remember that pack being loose and not sealed - I do usually re-seal my hop packs )
Its like making biscuits with the open box of baking soda in the back of your freezer that's been there for an undetermined amount of time.

It's just gross.

My only disappointment so far was that my American Stout went bad in the bottles between when I submitted it to a competition and when it was judged. Not sure what happened, but I had one bottle left after I got the scores back. That one had clearly soured or something. Somewhat sadly, my wife poured it out before I got to taste it carefully.. that was a minor additional disappointment because I wanted to at least figure out what was going on with it. Oh well.

It was a bummer because it had been a really good beer when I sent the bottles off. I guess I can be thankful that it wasn't described as "fecal," though.

My most recent was a 6 month effort on Whiskey barrel aged imperial stout. Honestly the beer came out incredible, but I'm bummed that it has done poorly in a recent competition. I haven't received the scored yet but this was one I was really hoping would get a ribbon.

Did you enjoy the beer? I assume the answer is yes, so why give a rats ass that it didn't win a medal?

At the start I listed my disappointment in a recent comp. Finally got my scores and they are all above 30 but still feel a little let down. One thing that sucks is that my Imperial KBS with oak whiskey was repeatedly marked as tasting and smelling boozy but on all the score sheets it is only listed as a stout with numerous adjuncts. Kind of feel like this attributed to it being knocked so much. Sucks but I'll roll with it. On the other hand I got a lot of decent feedback far better than last year. Every category filled in with numerous comments and critiques. That was not a disappointment!

Did you enjoy the beer? I assume the answer is yes, so why give a rats ass that it didn't win a medal?

Enjoyed it very much. Can't wait to brew it again. Only reason I'm bummed is from the perceptions of quality and effort. Really hoped it would score as well as I perceive it to taste. Oh well, always a next time and drunkeness in the meantime.

Enjoyed it very much. Can't wait to brew it again. Only reason I'm bummed is from the perceptions of quality and effort. Really hoped it would score as well as I perceive it to taste. Oh well, always a next time and drunkeness in the meantime.

Hey man, if the judges provided good feedback and critiques, then you can definitely improve upon it. In the past it was hard for me to swallow my pride and accept their criticisms, but it has really helped me to improve my beer.

My biggest disappointment was a really fine barleywine that got a gusher infection after four years in the keg. Lost over 3 gallons of it.

I picked up one of the 5.4 gal casks from Northern Brewer about a year ago. With it, I bought a bunch of grain - including some floor-malted Maris Otter - to make an inaugural British-style cask ale for my friends. Clearly, my d-rest was inadequate because it was full of buttery, butterscotchy flavour in abundance. So, total disappointment. Regardless of the "it's acceptable in some styles" statement, it doesn't work well for sessioning a cask. Yuck.

Next batch, I was determined to make up for the last one. Follwed everything to the letter, but mustn't have been meticulous enough at some point - went sour. Worst part was that I was the guy bringing beer that night. F**K!

Everything sorted itself out since then, and being able to make and serve real ale has been great. One of my friends said, in jest, while drinking the third cask - which was delicious - "you realise that this was your last chance". He was right.

My first attempt at a lager was all kinds of disappointing. My temp control, a standard minifridge, would not get warmer than 39˚, and my noob self though I would just let it ride and the yeast would do their thing. So after no activity in any way - no bubbling in the carboy, no clouding from yeast activity, airlock was motionless - after 4 weeks I decided it was okay and now was time to do a d-rest. Turns out the yeast were dormant, and almost all of the fermentation took place at ~80˚ in 2 days. I say almost because I got frustrated and said, "meh, close enough to FG" a priori without taking any sort of measurement and transferred to secondary then. It had definitely not hit the FG. Then Into secondary and back into the fridge to 'lager' for 4 more months.

So every bottle was a gusher, and the little bit of beer that survived was awful. Tasted like bacon (not always a bad thing), moldy bread, and rotten vegetables (a feat which I still find impressive to this day). It was my first lager and I put 6 months into it. Really really disappointing.

However, I have to say that I've never learned so much as I did from f*ing up that brew.

trumpetbeard said:
However, I have to say that I've never learned so much as I did from f*ing up that brew.

How true it is. I've learned far more from the screwed up batches than the ones that work.

Four or five beers in a row have come up short on the mash temp. which has made for watery, low-body and relatively tasteless fizzy beer.

which I promptly serve to my budweiser friends when they come over and ask for ' one of your homebrews, man!'. only to tell me how great it is, and do I have any budweiser on hand?

So every bottle was a gusher, and the little bit of beer that survived was awful. Tasted like bacon (not always a bad thing), moldy bread, and rotten vegetables (a feat which I still find impressive to this day). It was my first lager and I put 6 months into it. Really really disappointing.

That is quite impressive.

To quote the Legendary Ron Burgundy: "How'd you do that? I'm not even mad; that's amazing."

my Belgian Pale Ale with Calypso. I got a decidedly overly banana flavor despite the fermentation running at 64 for 3 days and then a degree a day for a week. Plus the calypso failed to add the red apple/pear flavors that it's supposed to contribute (sounded like it would really complement a Belgian to me when I bought it). Fail :mad:

My most recent batch is both a disappointment and a success. My efficiency was below 50% and my volumes were MILES off. I'm still trying to dial in my corona mill, which is oddly fun. The beer (southern pecan brown) tastes amazing but since I missed the volumes so bad, I only got about 3 gal out of it. I had 6ish gallons before the boil, but I wasn't expecting to loose close to 2 gal during the boil plus a larger than normal trub loss. Oh well, this will be available "in-house" only and by special request.

To quote the Legendary Ron Burgundy: "How'd you do that? I'm not even mad; that's amazing."

It might make for a really interesting test of one's skill/growth as a brewer to try to recreate their worst recipe disaster. Is it possible to recreate a 'fecal' brew? I don't know if I have near the ability to summon smokey bacon, mold, and rotten vegetal matter all in a single pint-glass of failure again.

BJCP should open up a new category for producing highly specific, wacked-out off-flavors.

I gave a few bottles of hb, a pale ale and a hefe, to a close friend, some were finished bottle conditioning, one was really young and needed a week or so at 70f. He put them in the frig, when I asked him for feedback he said the beers were flat. I felt horrible, since the beers came out awesome if conditioned properly. I learned a lesson : never give out beers that aren't "ready".

Recently brewed a cream ale. Nothing special, just run of the mill. It's been in the bottle 4 weeks now and most of the bottles aren't carbing. A few are ridiculously carbonated, and I feel more like I'm drinking a saison or something. The really crappy part is that the carbed ones taste awful and the flat ones are delicious. Go figure. Also I only brew once every 2-3 months, so any mess up is "kind of a big deal", to further quote Ron burgundy.

Ok... Brewed up a CDA, BYO's Widmere Pitch Black. It fermented out in a little less than 2 weeks using a 1.5 L starter of 029 that was getting a little too close to the expiration date for me.
Despite being hopped to a theoretical 54 IBU, the sample from the transfer to secondary for dry hops was bitter as earwax !
I can't catch a break
WTF!

I submitted a beer to the Sam Adams homebrew competition in the 'other' cateogory and described it as a very loose american twist on a pale ale/witte hybrid... they scored it poorly because it didn't fit the witte profile well enough. What the ****??? The BJCP certified judge even commented that he could taste the coriander... there is no coriander at all in that beer. And they complained that the yeast profile was too clean... that was kind of the point. It's not a witte.

I was pretty pissed off. No more competitions for me, what a waste.

Note to anyone entering a beer into category 23 - don't try and describe your beer, it can only hurt you.

Before I posted this, I checked my "Brew Notes" note book:

I made exactly 2 extract beers before jumping to all grain.

I had grown up watching my best friend's dad brew beer. 20+ years later my younger brother started brewing and I helped him with several batches. My first AG was really good, a bit hazy, but delicious.

I upped the ante a little more with my second AG brew and made a custom/personal recipe brown ale for a fund raiser golf tournament for work (I must have been drunk when I thought that would be a good idea) I thought it was just OK, but the guys at work loved it.

Then I made an AG Red Ale. I was so confident from all my previous (4) brews that it would be good, I gave some away as a gift. When I took my first taste of the finished product, I could barely finish the glass. "It's OK" I thought, "It just needs some more time to age". 6 weeks later and it still tasted like s**t.

Then I made a black IPA. My brother made the same recipe and we had a joint brew day. His came out great. I dumped 5 gallons down the drain. It was a sad day for me.

I now have a few wins under my belt with a second batch of the brown ale (at the request of the guys at work) and a killer double IPA.

Glad I found this thread. Maybe I can fully exorcise the ruined beer demons and get back to brewing some solid beers.

It really, really sucked to pull the top off a carbonated, chilled keg and pour it down the drain. I still haven't popped the tops on the bottles of red ale and poured them out, I may let the kids do it for fun, it's just too painful for me.

That's like saying you drank coffee at a Starbucks, hated the service and have since sworn off coffee for good. If you don't like the feedback you received, email the judges. If the comp was worth their salt, they would require judges to put contact information on the score sheets. If there is no information, then that comp wasn't run very well and I wouldn't enter that specific comp again.

Try entering well respected comps, like the Drunk Monk, the IN State Fair Brewer's Cup, the Kansas City Bier Meister's Homebrew Comp, the Dixie Cup, the Land of the Muddy Waters... I could go on but I will just name a few.

Note to anyone entering a beer into category 23 - don't try and describe your beer, it can only hurt you.

I do hope that no one takes this advice. Describing a beer well is the only thing that judges can go off of in several categories, Cat 23 being the prime example. You should describe a beer so that a total stranger can have an idea as to what they are putting in their mouth before they actually do.

Saying it is a "very loose american twist on a pale ale/witte hybrid" gives me no idea what you are going for. Is it hoppy? Orange? Coriander? What parts of the wit are in this pale ale? Or is it an over hopped wit? Had you said that it was a pale ale made with wheat or wit yeast or orange peel, they would have a better idea of the intention of the beer.

I submitted a beer to the Sam Adams homebrew competition in the 'other' cateogory and described it as a very loose american twist on a pale ale/witte hybrid... they scored it poorly because it didn't fit the witte profile well enough. What the ****??? The BJCP certified judge even commented that he could taste the coriander... there is no coriander at all in that beer. And they complained that the yeast profile was too clean... that was kind of the point. It's not a witte.

Agree with everything AmandaK said above. Don't give up on competitions because you didn't get the feedback you wanted. Try to enter competitions that are more established and well known as the quality of judging seems to improve with these competitions.

As for a wit/APA hybrid...It seems like a very odd pairing in my opinion, but like AmandaK said your description could have been better for the judges. Were you going for a APA that utilizes coriander and orange zest? Or a hoppy "clean" wit brewed with American hops?

Had you said that it was a pale ale made with wheat or wit yeast or orange peel, they would have a better idea of the intention of the beer.

To add some emphasis that I think you probably intended (sorry if not!), try to remember that for a beginner, the purpose of entering a competition is to get feedback and ultimately improve as a brewer. There's more to being a brewer than simply producing good beer. Right here is one example of this: clearly and accurately describing the style of beer.

Before writing off the judge's advice, take a moment to cool off, and then try to think objectively about whether their comments were as unhelpful or incorrect as you initially felt. Could you have done something to change that? They probably weren't trying to screw you over, most judges, even if they're amateur, are doing an honest job trying to be as fair and helpful as they can.

It's hard to take criticism, especially when it is surprising. As I mentioned above, I had a beer get a terrible score earlier this year in my first competition. As I read the first judge's sheet, my eyes were popping out of my head: what was this guy thinking? That was an excellent beer! After cooling off, I realized that the sample he had must have gone bad. At that point I started to get angry with the brewery who had cellared the entries, thinking they must not have done a good job. Those jerks! Then I remembered I had a bottle left and tested it. It was foul. So nobody had let me down, I clearly need to be more careful to avoid oxidation or infection next time around.

That's like saying you drank coffee at a Starbucks, hated the service and have since sworn off coffee for good. If you don't like the feedback you received, email the judges. If the comp was worth their salt, they would require judges to put contact information on the score sheets. If there is no information, then that comp wasn't run very well and I wouldn't enter that specific comp again.

Try entering well respected comps, like the Drunk Monk, the IN State Fair Brewer's Cup, the Kansas City Bier Meister's Homebrew Comp, the Dixie Cup, the Land of the Muddy Waters... I could go on but I will just name a few.

I do hope that no one takes this advice. Describing a beer well is the only thing that judges can go off of in several categories, Cat 23 being the prime example. You should describe a beer so that a total stranger can have an idea as to what they are putting in their mouth before they actually do.

Saying it is a "very loose american twist on a pale ale/witte hybrid" gives me no idea what you are going for. Is it hoppy? Orange? Coriander? What parts of the wit are in this pale ale? Or is it an over hopped wit? Had you said that it was a pale ale made with wheat or wit yeast or orange peel, they would have a better idea of the intention of the beer.

Multiple things. First, the competition was in early July and I didn't get my scoresheet until just before September started. It's doubtful emailing anyone would matter.

Second, for cat 23 you have one line to name your beer and a few words to describe your beer, maybe other competitions are different but seeing as how it's an 'other' category it's not really sufficient description space. I wrote out 5 or 6 things but none of it was really enough, so went with what I did. I did say that it's brewed with wheat and a ton of varied citrus zest.

I don't mind if they simply thought it wasn't that good. Both judges said they liked it and it was brewed nice and clean, no diacetyl no off-flavors. Other things were that it's not sweet enough to be a wit, too hoppy for a wit, lack of clarity (which I didn't understand being a criticism?) things like that... at first I thought maybe the sweetness was an actual criticism but no, it's just cuz wittes have that little hint of it and this beer is dry. So because it doesn't fit a style at all but giving the judges some sort of frame of reference is required, they took that frame of reference and applied strict guidelines. I should have said something more bizarre apparently, but when drinking it you can certainly see how it does resemble both a witte and a pale ale.

To add some emphasis that I think you probably intended (sorry if not!), try to remember that for a beginner, the purpose of entering a competition is to get feedback and ultimately improve as a brewer. There's more to being a brewer than simply producing good beer. Right here is one example of this: clearly and accurately describing the style of beer.

Not really a beginner. I didn't expect to win but I wanted to see how it did and get some feedback, as always. I've brewed this beer three times. ALL of the judging was based on it being a wit. Four bottles, shipping costs, entry costs, time and effort all gone to waste. I'm not annoyed because I don't think I brewed a mediocre beer but they did, that's not what the scoresheet said.

The idea behind calling it a witte/pale hybrid is it uses a huge pile of fresh zest from multiple different fruits, has lots of citra/sorachi, and 25% wheat, fermented clean and dry. Mainly the witte comparison is due to the wheat and zest, and the pale ale is the bitterness level and tropical hops. So it's neither, but reminiscent of both. Hence the 'loose interpretation'.

I can see how if someone just looks over the entry form while drinking 500 beers in a day they'd see the word 'witte' and attach to it, but still, it makes it feel like a waste to enter anything not brewed strictly to a style, because apparently 'loose interpretation of a hybrid between a APA and a witte' means "should be brewed exactly to specifications of a witte in category 16". The fact that the certified judge 'tasted the coriander' really pissed me off, apparently he didn't read my one line description at all. If there was coriander in it, I was required to write that down... so what do you expect my conclusion to be?

It didn't get a terrible score, a 27 isn't awful. But again, I got nothing out of it at all, so I'm not too keen on doing it again. Competitions require you to give up beer, ship beer, and pay for your entries... so, unless it's super convenient, no more for me.

If you don't value the feedback you received, then I understand your frustration.

However, it still sounds to me like you're taking this more negatively than you should. Looking at the BJCP guidelines for category 23, I find "If a base style is declared, the style should be recognizable. The beer should be judged by how well the special ingredient or process complements, enhances, and harmonizes with the underlying style." To me, that means that it doesn't have to exactly match a witte or an APA, but it should reflect the style to an appropriate degree. I'm speculating here, because it's hard to say whether I think the judges were reasonable without seeing the exact comments. It's possible they were totally off base, but it could also simply be that it wasn't witte enough to warrant the description. Maybe that's what you were going for, but maybe you'd have done better to describe it in a different way. That's really my point---and it may or may not apply.

I'm not saying you're wrong to decide that competitions aren't worth it for you. I'm also not terribly surprised to hear that the feedback for an experimental brew might not be what you were looking for---I'm really not sure how anyone can objectively judge a beer in that category, and even deciding what sort of advice might be helpful could be a big challenge.

Perhaps I would have been better off describing it differently, as you said. I thought they'd be able to read those two things and look for elements of both, like how you said it doesn't have to exactly match but should reflect the style to an appropriate degree. Perhaps it's simply due to the volume of beers, they're rushing through. Perhaps my description didn't make sense to them. If they were clever they'd see the play on the American Wheat style, but I suppose such things are lost when there's a volume that large to deal with. Whatever the case, it's disappointing.

Let's see...

wheat - witte
zest - witte (doing anything in excess = American as well)
clean yeast - APA
hoppy - APA
cloudy - witte (maybe confusing because cloudy but no esters?)
citrusy - both, orange and tropical flavors
OG/ABV - APA

Things written on the bottle - Pale Ale/Witte Hybrid, loosely "American Witte" - brewed with wheat, 2-row, excessive amount of citrus zest, citra, sorachi ace, ABV, chico strain

Looking at that, I don't expect it to fit a witte style all that strictly. Maybe I'm biased because it's my vision, but taking a step back from it, I don't see how they got that expectation unless they were rushing. Maybe they don't know what it means to put something in quotation marks, perhaps the written English language isn't their strong point.

I'm not really all that pissed about it anymore, I was when I opened the letter and read how it was judged. The score isn't what pissed me off, it was how they arrived at that score. Now it's just disappointing, hence it belongs in the disappointing thread.

Back