So it has come to this.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I get home from running my half marathon (a personal best time by the way) and I get a call from a freind that lives an hour away. He's at his mom and dad's place which is 5 doors down from me. He says that he's coming over and hopes I have something new for him to try.
He shows up with a glass and an empty growler. LOL

I grab the glass and say "so you want me to fill this for you?" He says yes and then holds the growler out and says "I was hoping you would fill this too". :D
I said that I would think about it.
Then he asked how much would I need to help my thinking. I said "how much is it worth to you". He did not answer..

He drank two glasses of my brown ale that I carbed last week and then slapped down $20 and said " I think that will cover it"..
Hell yes it will, I can damn near make another 10 gallons for that.

He went home with a half gallon of my brown ale and I have enough "exrta" money to brew next week when the SWMBO is out of town. :rockin:

Man...I never ask anybody, friend or foe, for $$. I like to share my brew...now, of course, if I was in the position where a roommate's ass-clown pals were stealing loads of my beer, that'd be a different story...but if a friend just showed up on my doorstep, I'd happily oblige, free of charge. I routinely give away sixers or even cases to friends of mine. I've never even thought about asking for cash.

Evan! said:
Man...I never ask anybody, friend or foe, for $$. I like to share my brew...now, of course, if I was in the position where a roommate's ass-clown pals were stealing loads of my beer, that'd be a different story...but if a friend just showed up on my doorstep, I'd happily oblige, free of charge. I routinely give away sixers or even cases to friends of mine. I've never even thought about asking for cash.

I typically agree, but showing up with an empty growler is a little on the pushy side.

rdwj said:
I typically agree, but showing up with an empty growler is a little on the pushy side.

I'll give ya that. I don't keg, so good luck leaving my house with a filled growler :p

Ah, there's such a fine line between enjoying and mooching.

Bottles for sale! Bottles for sale! Beautiful brown longneck bottles for sale!

1 for $1, 6 for $5!

CAUTION: May be filled with homebrew.

;)

Evan! said:

Well you would have to know my friends. Some of them (he being one of them) will come over for a cookout. I say to bring a dish to pass and I'll buy the steaks and taters. Needless to say I will end up with about 8 bags of chips and now that I brew I have 8 bags of chips and no beer.
I brewed a Heff for him a few months back. He wanted it for a party he was having. So I bought all the stuff for it, I brewed it, fermented it, and I bottled it. That's a lot of time amd money to do this. He has yet to pay me back for the brew.

Sherpa FE said:
You shot your friend that was wearing a vest to test it? ;)

Man, I'd give you $20 just so you wouldnt shoot me.
LOL no, we took one of his vest, put around a log (about 12" dia) and shot it from 50 yards. It went thru both sides of the vest and the log. :D

I just sold my brother in law 12 gallons of brew for $50. Said my brew was better than any commercial swill he could get for that price. Hmm, thanks. I didn't even like those particular batches.

No NO NO, you are not selling him beer. He is giving you money for you time and as a benifit to him you will GIVE him beer so he keeps buying your time.

Reverend JC said:
No NO NO, you are not selling him beer. He is giving you money for you time and as a benifit to him you will GIVE him beer so he keeps buying your time.

Word.

There's a local goat farm that, because of stupid gubmint regulations, can't sell its goat cheese to the public without investing tons of $$ in infrastructure, which they can't afford. So they come to the farmer's market and give the cheese away...then there's a big poster with their story of government tyranny, and a donations box below.

Evan! said:
Word.

There's a local goat farm that, because of stupid gubmint regulations, can't sell its goat cheese to the public without investing tons of $$ in infrastructure, which they can't afford. So they come to the farmer's market and give the cheese away...then there's a big poster with their story of government tyranny, and a donations box below.

yummm goat cheese.... I love that stuff..

Reverend JC said:

Hehe, Or you just sell high-quality used cardboard bottle carriers!

In fact, if he buys one from you, you might just be so grateful that he becomes your friend and you, in a totally unrelated way, might just give him a sixer for free!

Evan! said:
word.

so what was your time on the half-marathon?
Really not that fast. 2:06:46

I had started training for a the full 26.2 miles but my training stopped at 18 miles due to work and I did not run for 3 months. So I just ran the half and did not care how fast I did it.

depends who it is. if people from work come over and you better believe that the tip jar is going to be on top of the fridge. Friends and family though....I could care less

Reverend JC said:
No NO NO, you are not selling him beer. He is giving you money for your time and as a benifit to him you will GIVE him beer so he keeps buying your time.

See, when they busted me for prostitution I tried to make a similar case in court. It didn't hold much water, but luckily while I was in prison I learned how to make delicious toilet wine, which sparked my love of home brewing which continues to this day.

JK;)

FSR402 said:
LOL no, we took one of his vest, put around a log (about 12" dia) and shot it from 50 yards. It went thru both sides of the vest and the log. :D

Holy Shiite - what kind of handgun are we talking?!?!?!

If someone accidentally slips in some $$ for a beer...is that such a crime?

dispenser_1.jpg

Those are powerful, I've had a Freedom Arms 454 Casull for years. Got it for the wild boar handgun season. Only gun to ever get me thrown off the firing range.

ThomasRau said:
Those are powerful, I've had a Freedom Arms 454 Casull for years. Got it for the wild boar handgun season. Only gun to ever get me thrown off the firing range.
You should try the S&W 500 mag. :D That damn thing makes the 454 feel like a 38

I do not sell my homebrew, but I do mention to ppl that I'm willing to take small cash donations for my uncharitable cause in exchange...

I had one girl give me $8.00 for a 750ml bottle of Apfelwein! :ban:

Now, that said I also plan on going commercial, and hope to have my product on the shelves by the end of the year...

FSR402 said:
You should try the S&W 500 mag. :D That damn thing makes the 454 feel like a 38
We've got the 450 here at home. As heavy as it is, it shoots very well.

FSR402 said:
He drank two glasses of my brown ale that I carbed last week and then slapped down $20 and said " I think that will cover it"..
Hell yes it will, I can damn near make another 10 gallons for that.

He went home with a half gallon of my brown ale and I have enough "exrta" money to brew next week when the SWMBO is out of town. :rockin:

For Xmas this year, I'm giving all of my friends a new growler and a printout of this story.
happy0004.gif

FSR402 said:
Really not that fast. 2:06:46

I had started training for a the full 26.2 miles but my training stopped at 18 miles due to work and I did not run for 3 months. So I just ran the half and did not care how fast I did it.

9:40 miles is pretty awesome for a half-marathon. That 10k I did kicked my ass, and I only had 8:07 miles...I can't imagine what my time would be for double that. Congrats, dude.

I'm running this thing with my dog on Saturday. It's only 5k, but it should be interesting...xander's been my training partner for awhile now, so he's ready!

Evan! said:
9:40 miles is pretty awesome for a half-marathon. That 10k I did kicked my ass, and I only had 8:07 miles...I can't imagine what my time would be for double that. Congrats, dude.

I'm running this thing with my dog on Saturday. It's only 5k, but it should be interesting...xander's been my training partner for awhile now, so he's ready!

That looks like a lot of fun...

I did a 25K back in May and I trained for it and pulled off a 9:22 per mile and I walked about a mile of it. This half I did not train at all and had not run any longer the 8 miles since June. lol I also walked thru all the aid stations. I'm not going to complain seing how I'm 5'10" and 250#.

Back