Does the bittering hop variety matter much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boek

Reaction score
I know that the aa of the variety matters but besides that, what is the difference? If all the 60 min addition does is add bitterness can I just use whatever hop is lying around? Bitter is bitter right?

Yes and no. Most hops will lose most of their flavor during the duration of the boil. Some hops, like Citra (I can personally assure you), will not.

I'd think you're right, bitter is bitter...mostly. Some bittering hops can leave some flavor, I've found, even on a 60 minute boil. But that's mostly only noticeable if your only hopping at 60 and it's a light colored beer, like a pils or something.

Overall yeah, you can find the highest AA hop and use half an ounce of it no matter the style, bittering accomplished!

I'd think you're right, bitter is bitter...mostly. Some bittering hops can leave some flavor, I've found, even on a 60 minute boil. But that's mostly only noticeable if your only hopping at 60 and it's a light colored beer, like a pils or something.

Overall yeah, you can find the highest AA hop and use half an ounce of it no matter the style, bittering accomplished!

That, and some hops are harsher than others. If you're making a German beer, for example, the reason to use noble hops and not something like Chinook is because of the cohumulone amounts. What I mean is, those noble hops have a low cohumulone content, so they are considered smoother for bittering. Chinook, for example, is a high cohumulone hop and is perceived as rough or harsh.

Two ounces of tettnang hops will never equal .75 ounce of chinook, even if the IBUs are the same! The cohumulone difference really comes through in cases like this.

Different hops have different bitterness to a certain extent. I usually buy my bittering hops by the pound and use the same neutral variety for several batches. I buy other bittering hops when a specific profile is desired.

Personally, I have found that bitter seems to have different flavors. I'm not a big hops guys so maybe I'm just more sensitive to it. I can usually tell when Magnum hops have been used in my brew for a bitter and have picked out the flavor in some commercial beers.

That, and some hops are harsher than others. If you're making a German beer, for example, the reason to use noble hops and not something like Chinook is because of the cohumulone amounts. What I mean is, those noble hops have a low cohumulone content, so they are considered smoother for bittering. Chinook, for example, is a high cohumulone hop and is perceived as rough or harsh.

Two ounces of tettnang hops will never equal .75 ounce of chinook, even if the IBUs are the same! The cohumulone difference really comes through in cases like this.

This is something I've briefly read about when I looked into hop farming, but haven't pursued much. Makes sense.

I just did an all Columbus Pilsner SMaSH ALE (breaking all the rules, tsk tsk) and the hop bitterness is indeed sharp and a bit rough around the edges. I expect it'll tone down, and it's not bad by any means, just...different.

I don't mean to get off subject here but i got a screaming deal on a pound of First Gold 8% Hops. ( they were liek $5 bucks additional to my bulk grain order). I would like to use them as bittering hops for several beers. What styles do you think they will work as bittering hops for?

Great answer!

There's also the matter of tannins, if you use EKG to bitter an IPA you'll have more vegetal matter in the kettle and that leads to a different flavor.

I don't mean to get off subject here but i got a screaming deal on a pound of First Gold 8% Hops. ( they were liek $5 bucks additional to my bulk grain order). I would like to use them as bittering hops for several beers. What styles do you think they will work as bittering hops for?

They taste great for flavour too. Little background of orangey, marmaladey-ish taste. I really like them.

Okay, I've been wondering about this too. So here's a case in point: Have any of you used Brewer's Gold for bittering? Everywhere I look, I see reference to a "blackcurrant flavor." But then I also see that it's only really used as a bittering hop (in which case, I wouldn't be expecting much flavoring at all). I'd like to introduce a blackcurrant flavor into, say, a porter. Would that note be at all noticeable if I only use it as a bittering hop, then? Or would I need to add some at 60 minutes, then, say, some at 30? Or would I have to make some sort of use of it for flavor/aroma to get that blackcurrant note?

Back