White Chocolate. . . Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sddanc

Reaction score
I am interested in brewing a white chocolate stout. I searched, but 'white' and 'chocolate' were too common to narrow down to a single thread.

Has anyone attempted this? Success/Failure? Worth the brew?

:rockin:

Hoping to brew this coming Sunday (no disrespect to you fooseball fans).

Totally doable. Use pale chocolate malt, special roast, pale caramel malts, german munich and pale malt.

I bet you could find a low fat white chocolate cocoa powder, and add it with some lactose at the end of the boil

Here's a go at a base recipe using an imperial sweet stout recipe i have as a baseline:

10# base malt
2# german munich
1# caramel 10L
1# flaked barley
1/2# flaked oats
1/2# cara-pils
1/4# special roast 50L
1/4# pale chocolate

1oz goldings @ 60 min
2oz fuggles @ 60 min

4-6 oz Lactose @ 10 min
4-8 oz White Chocolate Syrup (non/low fat) @ 10 min

Mash @ 154-156, 60 Minutes

I couldnt find much for sale in the non/low fat white chocolate department. Syrup looks to be the closest thing avail.

Per Beersmith, end specs:

~ 1.080 OG (not including lactose)
~ 40 IBUs
~ 13 SRM

I'd venture to guess that it'd be pretty tasty!

I'm hoping someone tries this. My brew queue is packed for a while. Ill eventually get to it if noone else does first

isnt a white chocolate stout a pale ale with cocoa nibs in it

like:
Pale malt
Malted oats
flaked barley

ekg or fuggles

cocoa nibs in secondary

Cocoa nibs and white chocolate are a bit different. White chocolate apparently comes from cocoa butter.

I think the point was to make a pale oatmeal stout with chocolate added. So a pale ale with low hopping, lightly roasted notes and chocolate overtones seems to fit the bill

White chocolate syrup flavoring,or extract?Probably artificial but...more obtainable?

I was thinking syrup. artificial, but I couldn't find a low or non fat white chocolate, and had concerns over putting in fats and oils

Yeah thats the problem with using the real deal,natural flavoring/extract would be the way to go probably.I havnt seen it with the liquor quick series where i got some irish creme etract and that Irish creme stout turned out pretty nice with it.

According to joyofbaking.com:

"Officially white chocolate cannot be called "chocolate" because it does not contain chocolate liquor. Good white chocolate contains cocoa butter, sugar, milk solids, vanilla, and lecithin. Make sure when buying white chocolate that it contains cocoa butter as some inferior brands contain vegetable fat."

If you pull the flavour(s) of white chocolate apart, the biggest, most recognizable flavour is vanilla, I think you'd do well to add a couple of vanilla beans. If you're using pale chocolate malt, you'll get some chocolate from it, but I think you might do well to add some oats as white chocolate is suppsed to be "rich & creamy"; and maybe some lighter crystal malt(s) for added sweetness.
Just my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Back