Order not shipped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brehuh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long do you guys wait before contacting a company asking when your order will be shipped? It's been a week, this is the longest I have had to wait, especially with this company, they are always quick. I ordered two kits and some random things. So, should I give them more time or give them a call?

A week? No way I'd wait that long. If it's something I need soon I call on the second business day after I order if it hasn't shipped yet. If it's not pertinent then I usually call the 3rd business day after.

I've found that a lot of companies will ship your order right away after calling. I often get a tracking number later in the day when I call. If you don't call they sometimes will take their sweet time.

Rev.

I always get an E-mail when they shipped,with who,how long it may take,& tracking #. It can take a lil longer if they're busy with a big stack of orders,with yours at the bottom. Orders are filled in the order received. Been there,done that.

homebrewing.org usually ships that day. northern brewer is usually the same. austin homebrew took forever on the other hand.

AHS had a huge sale recently and had a resultant backlog. I started a thread about it earlier. Apparently the waits are fairly unusual for AHS... if that is where you ordered.

It never hurts to contact them. They would rather you call them than sit there fuming and spreading ill word of them to others (not necessarily you, but others have). Also, sometimes a company might not send the tracking info right away. I've gotten orders before recieving tracking info on rare occasions.

I am in no way part of AHS, but just give him a call. Forrest is a nice guy and will do his best to take care of you. I wouldn't have waited a week.

AHS takes forever to ship if you use the flat rate or free shipping for $100+ orders which is why I try to avoid them. Up to nine business days per the site which = nice warm yeast. Good selection and prices just poor shipping IMO.

Kind of funny I read this thread b/c my Austin Hombrew Supply kits just arrived at my house a few hours ago according to UPS Quantum tracking. It took 8 days to get here and I'm only in Dallas. The 20 Year sale must 've been a huge success. Be patient. It's coming but calling never hurts.

I recall reading in another thread where Forrest commented on the back log due to the overwhelming response they received from the 20th Anniv. sale. I believe he even said he was attempting to hire 3 more people.

Yes AHS are quite busy with the sale that ended last weekend.
FYI, I made an order with them on 03/31/2011, and it just shipped today.

AHS takes forever to ship if you use the flat rate or free shipping for $100+ orders which is why I try to avoid them. Up to nine business days per the site which = nice warm yeast. Good selection and prices just poor shipping IMO.

The actual shipping time is not that long. Their estimate include the processing time (time to prepare your order). The processing time is longer when you have the flat rate or free shipping, but the actual shipping time with UPS ground is the same ( 4 to 5 days to arrive here in California ). They just take their time to prepare your order.

My order at AHS from last week, just shipped today - but I knew there'd be a lag from reading these forums. I do have one yeast in there - hopefully it will make the trip alright.

It really depends. AHS has been backed up due to their sale, but prior to their sale I put a huge order in at night and it shipped the next morning. It all depends on their volume of orders.

I too ordered from AHS because of their sale, and had just brewed a kit I orederd from them, and as I stated in the email to Aaron, (the guy who answers the emails at AHS) I got an email with all the pertinant info on my first kit like the next day, where as the sale items I had ordered, I heard nothing about and I was wondering, being as how it had been alomost a week with no email or anything. Not that Im complaining, the IPA kit I brewed is gonna be great, and when I thought I messed up with the yeast pitch, Aaron got back to me in a matter of a couple hours. From what the email I got states, AHS hired 5 people to accomodate the orders from this sale. I guess the msg is be patient good beer is comming.

i placed a order with AHS last friday still hadn't shipped this friday so i called and canceled it cause i had to have a some star san this weekend. Thats b.s. they should at least tell you if something is on back order

placed a order with AHS last friday still hadn't shipped this friday so i called and canceled it cause i had to have a some star san this weekend. Thats b.s. they should at least tell you if something is on back order

Again Im not complaining but I tend to agree, a simple hey we're swamped, and we are doing the best we can, we will get you your order as soon as we can. type e-mail wouldnt kill anyone

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, but here are the facts (from a thread concerning the very recent anniversary kit sale):

We are averaging 190 anniversary kits a day and over 4,000 anniversary kits so far in the last 21 days. Over 500 pounds of hops so far

This week alone we poured over 4 1/2 tons of liquid malt extract and milled over 6 tons of grain.

Sorry for the delay but we did not anticpate this kind of volume. I have doubled the shipping staff and we are working on orders 24 hours a day.

Thanks for all of your orders. We appreciate your business and patience.

Forrest

ThatGuyRyan said:

You realize they don't pull your yeast out of refrigeration the instant you order it, right? The time waiting for your order to be processed is not going to affect the yeast. It's not like they pack your order on day 1 and your package just sits there the entire time waiting to ship.

Your yeast should be in the same condition as a company from the same area who ships it out the day you order it.

I have hired 5 more people and everyone is working overtime. We process the orders fresh and in the order they come in. I am putting some improvements in place to make it run smoother. Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience. Our normal shipping time is 1-2 days and we will be back to that time frame in a couple days.

Forrest

p.s. If you live in Austin and would like a job in the shipping department, stop by and fill out an application.

I knew going in I was going to wait which was fine with me. Placed order April 1st which was a Friday. Shipped April 8th not bad for me. I guess since I knew going in they were backed up with orders it was no bid deal for me. I guess it wouldn't hurt to say something like due to excess amount of orders our current wait is x amount of time. I just can't wait to get my order and brew some beer!

AHS is becoming a joke. Delayed shipping, lack of security in their online store, ect... Sad because they have good products

AHS is becoming a joke. Delayed shipping, lack of security in their online store, ect... Sad because they have good products

Gotta disagree. First any online vendor can and probably at some point will get hacked, that's a reality of the world we live in these days. Second, and I think it's been said in this thread and others is the fact that AHS doesn't have a warehouse full of kits that are just waiting to ship out. They put each order together as they get it so the customer gets the freshest ingredients. I placed an order from them about three days before the sale was announced and it shipped the next day, for me thats more than an acceptable turn around. With such a great deal they were offering, and the huge response they got I think it's understandable that they would get back logged. Maybe next time they will hire temporary staff ahead time to account for the surge in sales.

I ordered the IPA kit in my sig the day they started the sale and it arrived here in Kansas 3 days later. That's pretty good. They are obviously just a wee bit backlogged.

Yeah it's very sad they offered a deal and everyone gang rushed it, we should totally boycott Austin for not making a profit on their sale because they are obviously going downhill and becoming Walmart. /end sarcasm

Just a little disappointed I ordered a kit (not a sale one) 10 days ago and it still hasn't shipped out. I did not even get an e-mail. I had to go ask and was told by Austin they are behind and it's taking 5 to 7 days to ship....don't think so killers. Too bad my LHBS is soo expensive.

Some people need to relax in this thread. If you chose the free shipping you need to read the text there, it states that it takes 2-8 "business days" to ship out. If you wanted it sooner you should have paid for the expedited shipping.

I've also been waiting for an order but I knew they were backlogged when I ordered. That didn't stop me because of the fantastic service I've received from them in the past.

I'll continue to be a customer of Austin Home Brew.

Some people need to relax in this thread. If you chose the free shipping you need to read the text there, it states that it takes 2-8 "business days" to ship out. If you wanted it sooner you should have paid for the expedited shipping.

Actually, it says "Delivered in 2 - 8 Business Days*" it further says "Flat rate orders are ready for shipping in 2 - 4 business days. Delivery time takes 1 - 5 business days depending on your location." Now it does say, sometimes during high order volume, it could take longer.

Once I didn't have tracking info in a week I sent an e-mail that Luke Morrison replied "We are experiencing a very high volume of online orders due to the 20th anniversary promotional sale and orders are taking anywhere from 5 – 7 days to be shipped out."

Now, if my math is right, it has been 8 business days, still not shipped. They did however manage to charge my credit card the day after my order.

I understand they are slammed, the lack of communication is what frustrated me. No warning before I ordered, no communication afterwards to say, sorry dude, it is going to take at least DOUBLE the amount of time to get your stuff. And even their service reps have it wrong, I mean really?

Tell me the truth Luke, don't blow smoke up my backside to make me feel better.

i have a feeling that the guys at ahs are in a living hell right now. i took advantage of the sale, and ordered three extract kits and one all grain kit. waited patiently for 7 days, called on day eight, recieved on day 13 with missing grains for my all grain kit. called immediately, got good response from a nice guy and my grains shipped the next day (no added cost).

i can't complain, i'll do business w/them again. how were they to know that homebrewers were so damn cheap that they'd overtake thier store like maggots on a dung heap?

i can't complain, i'll do business w/them again. how were they to know that homebrewers were so damn cheap that they'd overtake thier store like maggots on a dung heap?
+ 1 Probably my fault I put in a order for 1 kit and other supplies. So I could get the free shipping. It took 8 days before it left AHS. And only got here Monday. 2 big boxes were waiting on me when I got home. RDWHAHB.:D

The lack of resources to handle the volume is AHS's problem, not ours. It took just shy of two weeks for my order to even ship. I'm not normally one to piss and moan about this type of stuff, but this experience was totally unacceptable.

Fortunately, there are plenty of other online HBS retailers out there. I'll be purchasing elsewhere in the future.

The lack of resources to handle the volume is AHS's problem, not ours. It took just shy of two weeks for my order to even ship. I'm not normally one to piss and moan about this type of stuff, but this experience was totally unacceptable.

Fortunately, there are plenty of other online HBS retailers out there. I'll be purchasing elsewhere in the future.

So basically they offer a super deal so that we can all celebrate their 20th anniversary, and to thank them you go buy elsewhere ?
I think the right attitude is to be thankful when a business tries to do this kind of thing, even if they struggle with the high demand. They probably did not expect their sale to be so successful. But you should be happy, by reading the kind of comments you write, they might be disgusted and avoid doing it again. Really, thank you.

And you have that right to do so. But if any of those other retailers offered a sale like AHS did you'll be pissed at them as well. Pretty soon you'll run out of retailers to be pissed at. I'm just sayin'! :D

/rant

Truth is, I might not like the delivery delay, but offer me another deal like it and I'll jump on it. Do I hear a 21st year anniversary special?

Only thing I'm upset about is that I was stupid and didn't buy any of the anniversary kits.

Back