IPA Recipe Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar881

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out a recipe for an IPA. I want it to be really hoppy. How does this look?

13 lbs light LME
1 lb 60 Crystal Malt
.5 lb Roasted Malt
4 oz Chinook
2 oz Amarillo

Hop Schedule:
Cascade 1 oz every 10 minutes for the first 40 minutes of boil
Amarillo .25 oz every 2.5 minutes starting at 40 minutes into boil and adding last at flameout.

I want it to feel like a grapefruit is kicking me in my tongue. I was also kicking around the idea of oak conditioning in secondary. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I did. I just changed from Cascade to Chinook and forgot to change the amount. Do you think it would be better with Cascade or Chinook? If i was going to use Chinook I meant to put 2.5 oz. Also, I should mention I use hop pellets.

That's still a LOT of Chinook. Do you have ProMash or BeerSmith? Download the trial version of BeerSmith (it's full-featured for three weeks) and play around with the recipe; you might be shocked at some of the IBU calcs you end up with. I mean, I love bitter - but there's bitter, and then there's BITTER.

If you put 0.5 lb of roasted barley in there it will be dark.

What do you mean by roasted malt?

Do you mean toasted?

Ok, that's fine.

Going by your hop schedule and ingredients, I'm getting an OG of about 1.090 and IBU's at about 90.

That should work for an Imperial IPA, if that's what you are going for.

For even more aroma I'd dry hop about 2 oz in the secondary as well.

I actually think chinook would be a good bittering hop for a beer that big. it will have a nice bite to offset all that malt, and you can get all the citrus character from the flavor and aroma hops...

but, probably not good if you want to do those 10 minute staggerd additions.

That's a big IPA.

Check out my thread on this Recipe forum. I am drinking this IIPA after 3 months conditioning and it's awsome. My gravity was only 1.087 and my IBU"s were 120. If your going to use that much LME it will end up too sweet and the hops will be overshadowed. I would nock that down to 7 or 8 #'s of LME and 90 IBU's I would also try alot of late kettle hop additions. ie: Bitter as usual at 60 and then hop the s--t out of it at 20-10-5-0 and then dry hop with at least 2 oz's. I think you will find the hop flavor and aroma will come out alot better if you do this. Cheers

Back