Cream of Three Crops....Extract Version?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Pretty self explanatory. I have seen so many rave reviews for BM's Cream of Three Crops Ale, but I have yet to find an extract version. Has anyone out there ceated one?

-Todd

Just make the leap to all grain. All you have to have is a five gallon cooler, and then get a manifold from a local or online brew shop, bam you are into all grain. It is a lot less scary than most people think of. Many people make it way too complicated and buy all kinds of crazy stuff to add on and make it just a little quicker and more precise. I have made several all grain beers now and I can say that all I used was two large pots, the converted 5 gallon cooler, and all the stuff you already have if you are doing extract beers. It does take more time but you will be very much rewarded with beer that far exceeds what can be made with extract alone or with steeping grains.

Pretty self explanatory. I have seen so many rave reviews for BM's Cream of Three Crops Ale, but I have yet to find an extract version. Has anyone out there ceated one?

-Todd

That recipe has unmalted grain. It isn't going to work as a strictly extract beer. You would at least have to do a mini mash. Replace half of the pale malt with light extract. With the other half of the pale malt do a mini mash with the flaked maize and rice.

Not quite true.

The Flaked Corn and Rice are already gelatinized (converted) so you don't need the diastatic power from the malt to convert the starches to sugars.

"Teabagging" the rice and corn with the specialty grains would work just fine.

That recipe has unmalted grain. It isn't going to work as a strictly extract beer. You would at least have to do a mini mash. Replace half of the pale malt with light extract. With the other half of the pale malt do a mini mash with the flaked maize and rice.

Not quite true.

The Flaked Corn and Rice are already gelatinized (converted) so you don't need the diastatic power from the malt to convert the starches to sugars.

"Teabagging" the rice and corn with the specialty grains would work just fine.

Sorry, but do some more research. Gelanitized does not mean converted. It means the starches in the grains have been hydrolyzed and are therefore able to be converted once added to a mash that has diastatic enzymes from malted grain. The only thing that your teabagging of the rice and corn flakes will accomplish is to get them wet.

Well, I know this is an old thread, but try this if you want. Not sure how close it'll be, but I guessed based upon gravity and such.

5 gallon batch

3 lbs. 12 oz. light malt extract
1 lbs. 4 oz. corn sugar
6 oz. rice syrup solids

.45 oz. Williamette, 5.3% AA @ 60 minutes
.45 Crystal, 3.5% AA @ 60 minutes

US-05

There's a few weird numbers in there, but it should be close-ish. Probably not as good as the AG version, but should be drinkable. I'd add the corn sugar and rice solids at 60 instead of the full boil, but that's just my guess. I may just whip up a batch of this to see how it works out.

Back