airlock Suck back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodfatherX

Reaction score
So I just did a real dumb thing when I was transferring to 2ndary. I forgot to take my air lock out before I opened the valve on my bucket. Sucked in a whole bunch of nasty water out of my air lock :( From now on I'm going to put a campden tablet in my 3 piece when I feel it with h2o.

I may just start doing that. I thought the campden tablets would last a while. since they are so hard, but the one i put in my secondary airlock is already almost dissolved.

I always use vodka on every batch I brew. Learned that when I first started brewing and read your Apfelwein thread.:mug:

I'm just wrapping up using a 1/2 gallon that I started in August 2006, so it does last a long time. For about $10, it is well worth it in peace of mind on my creations.

I may just start doing that. I thought the campden tablets would last a while. since they are so hard, but the one i put in my secondary airlock is already almost dissolved.

Well, I've always crushed and dissolved them whenever I've used them. I never thought about using them whole- I wouldn't think they would provide much so2 if they weren't dissolved.

I use either a diluted no-rinse sanitizer in my airlock, or vodka. It works great!

This has nothing to do with this post, but I wanted to say Gratz to Yooper for the big Stanley Cup win! :)

That WAS awesome, wasn't it? I thought the Pens/Wings matchup would be the best hockey of the year- and I was right! I think the Penguins will be the team to beat for the next five years. Wonderful goaltending, strong power forwards, and young talent- and on the Wings side- wonderful goaltending, strong defensive forwards and experience. What a match up!

That WAS awesome, wasn't it? I thought the Pens/Wings matchup would be the best hockey of the year- and I was right! I think the Penguins will be the team to beat for the next five years. Wonderful goaltending, strong power forwards, and young talent- and on the Wings side- wonderful goaltending, strong defensive forwards and experience. What a match up!

It was pretty good hockey. I watched the last two game sitting at the bar in BJ's Brewhouse on the big screen. Good stuff! Congrats Yoops!

Not that I'm aware of. Usually, even if you have fruitlies, anything in the airlock dies from the sanitizer or alcohol. Suck back isn't a good thing, but I've never heard of off flavors or infection from it.

Same here, no infection... Done it once or twice.

I usually fill my airlocks w/ rinse-free sanitizer. I think that its good to go.... Never tried vodka. I'm not an alcohol abuser!! :D

Back