Leaving CO2 Connected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
Do most people here leave their CO2 connected and on at all times? I just kegged my first batch and I've found that hooking it up and giving it a quick shot of pressure every now and again keeps me fairly consistently carbonated. Just saves me the fear of having a leaky regulator, plus my regulator gauge seems to be a little on the broken side.

What are the advantages of keeping a CO2 always on? Knowing the exact % volume of CO2 in the beer?

Yeah, if you want to be sure you have the same volumes for the life of the keg, it's the way to go. If you start noticing the carb level waning after a bunch of pours, it's gonna take a day or two with the gas connected to get back to equilibrium. If that's ok with you, no problems.

When I first setup my Sanyo I messed with shutting off the gas if I wasn't going to be pulling from it for a couple of says. I ended up going through a whole tank faster than just leaving it on all the time.

I leave mine on in my 4912 at all times, so far so good and I love the control of having different styles at the appropriate carb levels. Disconnecting all the time is too much guesswork for me...

If u make sure there are no leaks beforehand, should be just fine...

RoaringBrewer said:
I leave mine on in my 4912 at all times, so far so good and I love the control of having different styles at the appropriate carb levels. Disconnecting all the time is too much guesswork for me...

If u make sure there are no leaks beforehand, should be just fine...

i guess thats my concern. first time i hooked up my (used) regulator it leaked but that was due to missing the plastic washer. after putting that in there and adding some teflon tape and a whole lot of elbow grease i am pretty sure its not leaking. is a soapy water test a good idea?

Set it and forget it!!!!
ron_popeil.jpg

Yah I did the same thing with the plastic piece. I was like WTF is this for and cut it off its ziptie attatchement. An hour later of getting pissed about the leaks I read the instructions, needless to say the plastic washer is a miracle of engineering haha. But yeah leave the CO2 connected. Number one it will be the best way to diagnose a leak and fix it for future use and number 2 itll leave your beer ready to go. I too am using a Sanyo 4912 and have my CO2 always on.

Back