House IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battles4Seattle

Reaction score
Thoughts?

Title: House IPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 6.7%
IBU (tinseth): 68.41
SRM (morey): 7.51

FERMENTABLES:
11.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (88.5%)
1 lb - Flaked Wheat (7.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (3.8%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Magnum for 60 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 14, IBU: 34.5)
1 oz - Centennial for 15 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 10, IBU: 16.31)
0.75 oz - Chinook for 15 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 13, IBU: 15.9)
0.5 oz - Magnum for 1 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 14, IBU: 0.99)
0.5 oz - Centennial for 1 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 10, IBU: 0.71)
1 oz - Centennial for 7 days, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop (AA 10)
0.5 oz - Magnum for 7 days, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop (AA 14)
0.5 oz - Chinook for 7 days, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop (AA 13)

MASH STEPS:
1) Infusion, Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 17.96 qt

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Starter: Yes

I like this recipe. I always aim for 1.067 OG with my American IPA. I think your BU:GU ratio is also about perfect. I usually aim a little higher though for about 75-80 ibu's since often times your hops will not have the AA content that you expect if they are more than 6 months old.

As for your hop schedule: Magnum is a clean bittering hop. I am not sure what you are going to accomplish by using it in your late hopping additions and it makes no sense as a dry hop. I would go with Magnum @ 60 min to bitter to about 50 ibu's and then use the Centennial and Chinook at 15 minutes to bring you IBU's up to 65-80 and then another once or 2 of each C-hop at flame out or whirlpool as your beer cools (160F and below) + dry hop with 1.5 oz Centennial + 1.5 oz Chinook! It is near impossible to over dry hop! West coast IPA's use about 4 oz dry hop in 5 gallons to get the aroma through the roof!

This sounds good!

Thanks for the quick feedback. I really enjoy Magnum in Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA and wanted to try it with Centennial. It could be the Crystal I like in Torpedo but it seems like the taste would be more apparent from Magnum. It's like a crisp clean citrus.

So if I up Magnum to 1 oz to bitter I'd get 46 IBUs and 79 total. I was thinking of upping the 2 oz of dry hops but was worried because of the high AA.

Could do 1.5 Centennial 1 Chinook and .5 Magnum.

Mash Temp is a touch high for me - like my IPAs to be a bit dry. I would also double the dry hop amount so you are at 4 ounces. But what do you want/like? Just gave us the recipe, not what you were trying to achieve

I'm fairly new so I understand that the lower the temperature the more frementable sugars but don't know how to decide what to mash at. Just picked 153 because I knew it needed to be dryer.

I'm going for something that Centennial is the highlight but get a good crisp pine from the Chinook and Magnum with that slight extra citrus I like from Torpedo.

I would up all the late addition hops to 1oz each. And as was said before, maybe mash around 150-152 to keep it dry. 1.016 is a little high for an IPA.

I agree with the previous poster that 153 is a bit high for an IPA. I would go with 150 in my system.

But then again, you are doing BIAB. Not sure of your system or how many batches you've done this way, but I'd be willing to bet you lose somewhere around 5+ degrees over the hour. In this case, 153 would be a good starting point for the mash. As a side note, you don't want the mash to drop below 145.

I agree with the previous poster that 153 is a bit high for an IPA. I would go with 150 in my system.

But then again, you are doing BIAB. Not sure of your system or how many batches you've done this way, but I'd be willing to bet you lose somewhere around 5+ degrees over the hour. In this case, 153 would be a good starting point for the mash. As a side note, you don't want the mash to drop below 145.

+1 for mash temp. Shoot for 150. You want it to be hoppy, not sweet!

So if I up Magnum to 1 oz to bitter I'd get 46 IBUs and 79 total. I was thinking of upping the 2 oz of dry hops but was worried because of the high AA.

Could do 1.5 Centennial 1 Chinook and .5 Magnum.

The AA content in dry hops don't mean much because the beer doesn't take that bitterness out of hops unless you boil them. Homebrewers use 3-5oz of dry hop using Citra or Centennial all the time and those hops are 10-13% AA.

The AA content in dry hops don't mean much because the beer doesn't take that bitterness out of hops unless you boil them. Homebrewers use 3-5oz of dry hop using Citra or Centennial all the time and those hops are 10-13% AA.

Yep. OP, read up on hop isomerization and you'll see what Jayhem is talking about.

I disagree with those folks that say 153 is too high. I will and try and dig up the source, but at 153 you have both beta and alpha amylase working together quite well. If you're mashing for an entire hour, that's going to give you a MORE fermentable wort than mashing higher or lower. Shorter mashes (like many commercial breweries use) at higher or lower temperatures will favor the enzyme active at those temps (beta vs alpha). I mash all my APA/IPAs at 153 and get pretty serious attenuation.

Someone did an experiment to this effect, but I'm having trouble searching it out. Anybody have that thread?

Just got a 44/50 on a version of this recipe at Best of the Bay. It advanced to Mini BOS but haven't heard the results.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!

Latest posts

Back