Broken bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUCKEYE1303

Reaction score
I am a little confused at the moment. I have had two different batches of beer with this problem. I gave my father in law a few bottles of a CDA and he mentioned that two bottles broke off on the neck about an inch from the cap upon opening. Yesterday, I was tasting my Witbier and the bottle broke on me opening it. What could be causing this issue? I am using a wide variety of used commercial bottles, all pop top, mostly Sam Adams.

The bottles just couldn't handle the pressure of bottle conditioning. Active refermentation in the bottle provides a lot more pressure than filling a bottle with already carbonated beer (which is what most breweries do). That being said, most bottles can hold up to bottle conditioning, but you can always get a weak bottle, overpriming or an infection that will cause it to break.

Did you ever bake them in the oven to sanitize? That's what caused the only bottle bomb I've ever had. The heating-cooling cycle seems to stress the glass.

the anchor steam bottles are the worst. the new belgium bottles aren't great either. sam adams are usually pretty solid - which type specifically is breaking on you?

I had a SA break last night. I am pretty sure SA or Michelob bottles were also the culprit with the ones I gave away.

I've reused New Belgium bottles more than 10x and never had a break, even with priming up to 3.25 vol CO2. I sanitize in Starsan (not a hot dishwasher) and cap with a bench capper.

I just put a Tripel in old returnable 12oz bottles carbed to 3.8 vol CO2 and am hoping for no broken bottles.

I had a thought and wanted to put this out there. Instead of putting my bottles in the dishwasher and subjecting them to the heating/cooling cycle and weakening the glass, what would be wrong with dunking them in the star san solution I use in my bottling bucket before bottling?

I would personally avoid the dishwasher for the heat/cool avoidance. Also, make sure you add the correct amount of priming sugar and that your fermentation is complete (always good to check, anyway).

what would be wrong with dunking them in the star san solution I use in my bottling bucket before bottling?

I think this is a better solution and a lot of people on here do this. I used to do the dishwasher thing, but I felt that I had to plan my bottling around running the dishwasher and then letting the bottles cool. Also, I wasn't confident it was sanitizing due to the small opening and unknown temps. I then went to a vinator and bottle tree, shooting starsan into the bottles.

Now, I prefer just getting a bucket full of starsan solution, throwing the bottles in and submerging. I throw maybe 8 at a time in there and proceed to dump one out, bottle, cap, and then reach for another.

Is it a clean break? It sounds to me like you are cracking the bottle when capping...the grab rings on a wing capper can do it if you press down too hard, or get it a touch too crooked.

pwkblue said:
Is it a clean break? It sounds to me like you are cracking the bottle when capping...the grab rings on a wing capper can do it if you press down too hard, or get it a touch too crooked.

I've ran into this problem before. I have had them break when removing the cap and while putting the cap on. I never heat the bottles. It started to happen more frequently once I noticed that the two metal plates on my wing capper started to bend due to 9+ years of use. I haven't had this problem since I bought my bench capper.

I recently used some Corona bottles and they seem much more rugged than SA bottles.
I kind of like the clear glass too. I keep them in complete darkness so light is not a problem for me.

Back