Out of date malt extract tins...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brew

Reaction score
Sorry to ask, BUT i have looked around the net for a while and got a very mixed responce..

I have recently purchased a bulk lot of stuff from a deceased estate, 7 fermenters/capper etc etc

inside a few of the fermenters i found some pretty old tins of malt extract, the oldest being best before/used by 2004 (8 years old)

From what i have read so far people say,
a/ bin the malt extract
b/ use the malt extract, ditch the attached yeast and get some fresh yeast
c/ use the malt extract, ditch the attached yeast and get some fresh yeast and get some extra hops
d/ brew with 2 cans of malt extract instead of using sugars (?????? that sounds strange to me???)

well these four options have left me confused...

can you guys help out a little, let me know about your experiences with out of date malt extract

i feel like there is something i could get from these old malt extract tins in a good way..

some can's/tins are bulging...i dont know what a safe ammount of "bulge" is...if any!

Any bulging in cans is not a good sign, never eat anything from a bulging can unless you want food poisoning, fresh ingredients make good beer plain and simple, please order some new ingredients.

Cheers :mug:

ok this is excellent info..
now onto a second question you knowledgeable folx mite be able to help me with..

as i stated in the initial question, i have a few fermenting bins now (prob going to keep 3/4 and sell the rest)

im still pretty much a brew virgin,

am i best of just buying a few tins of malt extract or best buying the ingredients and try make my own mix?

i would say the 1st option but while im asking silly beginner questions...may aswell continue!

ok this is excellent info..
now onto a second question you knowledgeable folx mite be able to help me with..

as i stated in the initial question, i have a few fermenting bins now (prob going to keep 3/4 and sell the rest)

im still pretty much a brew virgin,

am i best of just buying a few tins of malt extract or best buying the ingredients and try make my own mix?

i would say the 1st option but while im asking silly beginner questions...may aswell continue!

I would ether order a extract kit or cans, both work well for learning, most extract kits have steeping grains in the kit, this would kinda be like a step up from a can only brew, don't let the extra process of steeping grain scare you off, its easy!:ban:

yeah only problem is...im in the most isolated city in the world...

Perth, Australia :)

we have a couple of shops local, maybe i should have a look/chat with them, well at least do a research on the price difference, i would say with postage, it would be cheaper to buy local!

yeah only problem is...im in the most isolated city in the world...

Perth, Australia :)

we have a couple of shops local, maybe i should have a look/chat with them, well at least do a research on the price difference, i would say with postage, it would be cheaper to buy local!

At least you have shops, nearest one to me is 2 hrs away lol

i tell ya, this is alot more accepting than other forums i have frequented in the past..
cheers for the info guys..

must be kind of annoying gettin begineers coming on here asking daft questions all the time!
shall be reporting back when these baby's come to life!

Latest posts

Back