the frikkin sippers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadarnell

Reaction score
What's up with people just taking the smallest little sip of a beer you give them to try (homebrew or commercial) and then giving their opinion? ..... take a drink already! !!!!

They are scared they might die a terrible death. And maybe they could be scared of something darker than pale yellow? It could just be"actual- taste" they are scared of, a double ipa may make their eyes bulge and possibly pee their pants. Just say "Careful now,with that,eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy does it.."

Sippers are not real beer drinkers and should be treated as such. Do not offer them homebrew ever again. Make them ask for it and then give them crap about being a sipper. Save your beers for someone who will appreciate it. Sippers piss me off too....So are people who tell me my beer is really good and then they leave it sitting there half full all night.

Sippers are not real beer drinkers and should be treated as such. Do not offer them homebrew ever again. Make them ask for it and then give them crap about being a sipper. Save your beers for someone who will appreciate it. Sippers piss me off too....So are people who tell me my beer is really good and then they leave it sitting there half full all night.

+1 on all of that ... I'm always saying to them ..... cut the lace off your panties and take a dam drink!!!!

I get this response at first from most people, but usually after one sip they start chugging and ask for another! I'm cool with that. :D

You have obviously never had someone else's infected and/or foul brew in your mouth. I smell after the pour. Cover the glass and swirl while looking for head and at the color. Uncover and smell again, then take a small sip. This allows me to know if I need to have another small sip and dump or sip it or if i need to take a big drink.

This doesn't even begin to cover sipping drinks... Like:
John Hennry - 3 lick ale
Founders - KBS/CBS
Sam Adam's - Utopias
Just to name a few or nearly any "Imperial" or "Eis" anything...

Trust me I have a glass 1/2 yard and a 2L glass boot for "chugging beers" but they need to be drinkable and sub 5% for those...

You have obviously never had someone else's infected and/or foul brew in your mouth. I smell after the pour. Cover the glass and swirl while looking for head and at the color. Uncover and smell again, then take a small sip. This allows me to know if I need to have another small sip and dump or sip it or if i need to take a big drink.

This doesn't even begin to cover sipping drinks... Like:
John Hennry - 3 lick ale
Founders - KBS/CBS
Sam Adam's - Utopias
Just to name a few or nearly anky "Imperial" or "Eis" anything...

Trust me I have a glass 1/2 yard and a 2L glass boot for "chugging beers" but they need to be drinkable and sub 5% for those...

Well if I gave a beer to an experienced beer drinker I wouldn't really question how they tried it .... and I would trust their opinions .... but its usually these bmc drinkers that seem actually frightened by the smell of hops and a Color other than yellow

.... but its usually these bmc drinkers that seem actually frightened by the smell of hops and a Color other than yellow

So you are surprised/slightly offended that a person that normally drinks a lightly flavored beer doesn't want a mouthful of flavor?

I have some friends that are into hot peppers. What do you think about dicing up a few Scorpion peppers and eating it straight on a tortilla chip? They would be offended if you didn't eat a HUGE spoonful on your chip and heaven help you if you wanted tomato or cheese to cut it... You better not scream like a sissy either or say anything other than "Damn that is good, can I have more/is there a different kind to try?" in fear of the ladies kicking you out of their pepper tasting party. ;)

I support this thread....I especially love when you know they took such a small sip all they got was head. All of my girlfriends friends are quickly earning themselves a lifetime ban from my kegerator. I may cut them off from my fantastic cooking as well, which they definitely wouldn't like.

I also "sip" beer only if its like KBS or a real heavy beer with lots of flavor. Even the Lost Abby Judgment ale I sipped on 10oz at my local craft bar. Drank it in about 10 mins. Then followed with a half bottle KBS (room temp) and yes those are sippers. As for most other beers I take one good mouthful each drink finish it and repeat process. :drunk: oh an yes it pisses me off if I give somone a good beer they say its good then dont drink it. You ask why is tht half full? "oh it got a little warm". Bah!

Ehh. What do you expect from folks? You want 'em to take a big swig, tell you your beer is ****, and throw the rest of the glass in your face? They think they're being polite (and I'd say they are), and you get the message. Frankly, I don't think anyone truly digs a beer unless they go back for more.

If you want to complain about folks, how about the ones who don't know how to operate a kegerator? I often catch folks at parties pouring off the head (into a drip tray with no drain), 'cause that's what they see bartenders do to BMCs that foam up. Makes me want to slap somebody.

So you are surprised/slightly offended that a person that normally drinks a lightly flavored beer doesn't want a mouthful of flavor?

I have some friends that are into hot peppers. What do you think about dicing up a few Scorpion peppers and eating it straight on a tortilla chip? They would be offended if you didn't eat a HUGE spoonful on your chip and heaven help you if you wanted tomato or cheese to cut it... You better not scream like a sissy either or say anything other than "Damn that is good, can I have more/is there a different kind to try?" in fear of the ladies kicking you out of their pepper tasting party. ;)

Difference being that if I don't want to eat hot peppers, I don't go to a hot pepper tasting party. If I'm not at a hot pepper tasting party but someone offers me peppers of unknown origin and heat, I'll politely refuse and go back to whatever I was doing.

If they insist despite my polite refusal...now that's when they become the jerk.

I know what you mean. A full taste is the only way to enjoy a beer. Even a big beer gets a pretty good sized taste.

I picked up a case of non-BOS homebrews after this spring's competition. Even with those suspect beers, I take a sniff (normal anyway) and than a full mouthful. If it's nasty, I just don't drink it! But you can't tell unless you get a good taste.

Back