Save or dump this very active yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made a 1600 ml yeast starter using a 2000 ml flask . Sometime during the night the krausen was pushed up through the neck and pushed out the foam stopper to spill over the edges. Thus, since this strong activity resulted in the starter being exposed to the external air I am wondering if I should keep the yeast from this starter? My concerns are will there be much yeast remaining in the starter since this was a top cropping yeast strain and could airbourne yeast create a problem for this starter.

Hmmm, never heard of this happening but if it were me I would still use the starter. The reasoning is that if the yeast did blow out then any contaminted yeast is already out of the starter. A by product of fermentation is co2. The co2 is constently pushing up the neck of the flask and any floaties in the ambient air will also be blown away by the co2 current. This is how breweries do open fermentation.

I'm not saying your starter isn't contaminated but I'm saying the probability is low. Also, have you considered putting foil on top of your flask? This allows co2 out and oxygen in without a build up of pressure to cause a blowout.

If this were me I'd still use it. Just like Arnold said, the CO2 will have the tendency to push any contaminants out.

Thus, since this strong activity resulted in the starter being exposed to the external air

I'm no expert but this is what you want with a starter isn't it? The yeast are supposed to be taking in as much oxygen as possible to reproduce. If it were me, I would toss anything that made it outside of the jar and use the rest of the starter.

Just curious, when were you planning on pitching? If you have the time, maybe let it go for another few days and then see if you detect and funky smells.

It should be fine to use.

I suggest to cover starters with foil and to add 1 drop of fermcap-S to minimize krausen height.

Back