Kolsch Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
Ok So I bought AHS Texas Orange Kolsch kit without the yeast since I knew it would arrive here in sunny FL hot as hell. I picked up a pack of WYEAST 2656 KOLSCH this morning and I wanted to know. Is this a lager yeast? If so Im guessing I should ferment between 50-60 and then cold condition at 40 for a few weeks. Or is it an ale yeast that requires higher temps?

It is an ale yeast. I've never used the wyeast version, but I use WLP029 quite a bit and I normally ferment at 64-68 degrees and it turns out great.

I would say, if you have the equipment to ferment lower by all means. I used WLP029 this past summer prior to finishing my fermenting box, and let fermentation occur at room temps (around 70-72). The finished product had an ester-ey flavor, but it was still noticeably a kolsch, and a very fine brew. Since you are doing an orange kolsch, the esters may actually work with the recipe.

That said, now that I have a temp controlled fermenting environment, I would not do another kolsch at that temp, but I am happy to serve my currently kegged brew.

I made a kolsch with that yeast. try to keep ti cool, but it does ferment pretty cleanly. mine has no esters.

WLP029 from White Labs rocks! It makes a great Kölsch and even Oktoberfest. Nice & clean fermentation. Just be sure to use a starter.

Back