Adding priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmulligan

Reaction score
Should you wait until the 2 cups of water is boiling before adding sugar into it or heat both up at the same time?

I let the water boil for a few minutes,then take it off the heat & add the measured amount of sugar. Stir till the water clears again. I let it cool down before adding to the bottling bucket.

unionrdr said:
I let the water boil for a few minutes,then take it off the heat & add the measured amount of sugar. Stir till the water clears again. I let it cool down before adding to the bottling bucket.

This.

I use 1 cup of water and about 4-5 oz of dextrose. I put the dextrose in before I heat it up in the microwave, and let it boil for a few seconds before taking it out of the microwave. Stirring is typically not necessary. I dump the near-boiling solution directly in the bottling bucket and rack onto it immediately.

I also rack onto the near boiling sugar. Kills a little yeast but it doesn't matter, if anything it is a little extra nutrient for carbing.

I also rack onto the near boiling sugar. Kills a little yeast but it doesn't matter, if anything it is a little extra nutrient for carbing.

If you kill the yeast you don't need the sugar, cause there's nobody home to carb the bottle.:confused:

YOu won't kill all that much yeast doing that.

+1 racking onto the near boiling cup of water may kill 1% of the yeast.

When I bottle, the first thing I do is make the priming solution. I then let it sit out while I get everything else ready. By the time I get everything all sanitized and ready to rack, the solution will be cooler.

+1 racking onto the near boiling cup of water may kill 1% of the yeast.

When I bottle, the first thing I do is make the priming solution. I then let it sit out while I get everything else ready. By the time I get everything all sanitized and ready to rack, the solution will be cooler.

True true. I was just saying its not a good practice. Cool is better, I also keep the solution covered with sanitized tin foil while it cools. Cheers;)

I just don't see any reason to expose the beer to one more opportunity for infection. Nice cool sugar syrup would make a nice home for all sorts of funk I'm sure. Given the specific heat of water and my rough calculations:

1.5 cups of boiling water added to 5 gallons of water would raise the temperature of the total mass by roughly 3 degrees F. Not really even enough to be perceived by touch, certainly not enough to kill your yeast. It'll kill the yeast in the beer you initially rack onto the hot sugar water, but it'll cool off so fast that the loss won't matter.

I usually rack my beer cold for bottling (right out of the fridge or shed in the winter time) so it is under 50F. That means by the time I've added a quart of cold beer to the hot sugar it is well under the temperature that would kill the yeast. That leaves 4.75gal of healthy yeasty beer, not to mention the cake on the bottom which I inevitably get greedy and manage to rack some of into my bottling bucket!

My apology , I was making a bad joke. Really, I apologize for the smart remark plumbob. I thing its closer to say you would loose about 2 cup to the hot sugar water.... But thats a whole beer! :eek::D Cheers... still kidding.

I put the pot on the scale, zero it out, add the appropriate weight of sugar, then add the water and boil.

My apology , I was making a bad joke. Really, I apologize for the smart remark plumbob. I thing its closer to say you would loose about 2 cup to the hot sugar water.... But thats a whole beer! :eek::D Cheers... still kidding.

LOL! No offense intended, and none taken. Totally missed the sarcasm! I've taken too much chemistry in my life, nerd rage sets in at the drop of a hat.

Latest posts

Back