Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put a chicken and a boneless chuck roast on the smoker. I think this is the first time I've ever smoked beef, usually I just do pork or poultry so I'm anxious about how this will turn out.

I just put a chicken and a boneless chuck roast on the smoker. I think this is the first time I've ever smoked beef, usually I just do pork or poultry so I'm anxious about how this will turn out.

pretty damn good I'm sure!

My tailgate this weekend consisted of:

6 racks of BB's

2 chuckie's

about 45 chicken legs

Neeless to say, everyone was quite full!

pretty damn good I'm sure!

My tailgate this weekend consisted of:

6 racks of BB's

2 chuckie's

about 45 chicken legs

Neeless to say, everyone was quite full!
Actually it was tougher and drier than I hoped, but there was very little fat. I'll find a better piece next time. The chicken was excellent. I'll have the scraps of it on a sandwich today at lunch..

When I throw beef in the pit,I use chunks of wood on top of the coals. Seems to help that part a little. But I also make a moppin marinade with HB,Worcestershire sauce,& seasonings. mop it every time I flip it to keep it moist. & try to keep some pink in the middle. Bbq sauce is quite good at the end when you match it closely to the mop used to moisten it.
Another thing that is really good for this is Floribeen savory key lime oil. Mix some seasonings in a cup or so in the morning. Cover it till needed. That key lime flavor stands up to some serious seasonings too. Great flavor.

my tailgate this past weekend for the Pats game:

115 lb pig stuffed with 12 lbs of chicken and turkey breasts and 12 lbs of chorizo and linguinca.

Do I win!?!?

Oh I get it... I see what you did there.

Mr. Funnyman. i know one interwebs ahole who ain't gettin an invite next year.

And no, no deep frying this time. I drilled holes about an inch off the bottom on the side of the huge pan I had made and used it. The fat just drained out the bottom and it cooked perfectly.

I then borrowed PTN's big smoker and used it as a "chafing dish" to keep the pig warm at the tailgate.

Trust me... telling PTN his pride and joy was a chafing dish was worth it.

photo.jpg

Actually it was tougher and drier than I hoped, but there was very little fat. I'll find a better piece next time. The chicken was excellent. I'll have the scraps of it on a sandwich today at lunch..

really? mine was perfect. What temp were you cooking at? Mine are pretty much done at an hour and a half.

got the chicken rubbed and getting happy in the fridge also making some ABT's and my Pork and Beef rollups some grilled veggies and beer to brew busy this weekend will post pics sat or sun

got the chicken rubbed and getting happy in the fridge also making some ABT's and my Pork and Beef rollups some grilled veggies and beer to brew busy this weekend will post pics sat or sun

got two chuckies marinating in bourbon and steakhouse marinade. That and some sausage for Sunday. Having a group Brewday at our place, at least 3 other brewers. We'll be brewing two beers ourselves.

i'll be smoking a whole chicken for the first time this weekend.
which brings me to the question--approximatly how long would it take to smoke a 6 1/2 lb. whole chicken?

which brings me to the question--approximatly how long would it take to smoke a 6 1/2 lb. whole chicken?

depends on what temp you're cooking it at. More importantly, you cook to a temperature, not to a time.

dfess1 said:
depends on what temp you're cooking it at. More importantly, you cook to a temperature, not to a time.

+1

Probably between 2-4 hours though, depending on temperature. A meat thermometer costs much less than salmonella poisoning.

Just lit my two large Big Green Eggs for smoking 6 pork butts (about 50 pounds of pork) for my neighborhood Oktoberfest tomorrow!

Just lit my two large Big Green Eggs for smoking 6 pork butts (about 50 pounds of pork) for my neighborhood Oktoberfest tomorrow!

Sounds like a good time. :mug:

I'm doing a tri-tip for the first time on Sunday that a friend gave me today.

It's only 3-4lbs, so not a ton of meat. Based on the sample I tried that he did, it's good stuff slow cooked and heated up at the end.

+1

Probably between 2-4 hours though, depending on temperature. A meat thermometer costs much less than salmonella poisoning.

+2

I usually do them at 250 and at 3-3.5 hours they are fall apart tender, come clean off the bone, and juicy as can be.

as with smoking all meats, you cook to the temp. :rolleyes:

I usually do them at 250 and at 3-3.5 hours they are fall apart tender, come clean off the bone, and juicy as can be.

Probably between 2-4 hours though, depending on temperature.

thanks to kcbrewer and jeep for the tips of an "estimated" time frame, as i haven't smoked a chicken before. ;)

well the prep work is done got 32 ABT's, 15 Pork Rollups (pork cutlet stuffed with cream cheese scallion and bell pepper wrapped in bacon), 12 Beef Rollups ( beef cutlet stuffed with provolone, scallion and bell pepper wrapped in bacon) also got 8 chicken breasts and 8 legs and will do some grilled veggies in the morning got to work at 8 pm so no time to brew today

where are my pics??????.

20111023_11.jpg

20111023_12.jpg

20111023_13.jpg

the food turned out great, would have been better with a pint of my Belgian Wit ale but have to work tonite so no Beer

20111023_4.jpg

20111023_6.jpg

20111023_7.jpg

as with smoking all meats, you cook to the temp. :rolleyes:

thanks to kcbrewer and jeep for the tips of an "estimated" time frame, as i haven't smoked a chicken before. ;)

well, i hadn't seen you post in this thread before. you give me no "here's the temp I smoke at" info, what do you want? At that point you cook to the temp, it takes as long as it takes. :rolleyes:

Smoking two five and a half pound chickens, with 4 large potatoes and an undisclosed (grin) amount of corn with the shucks still on 'em (soak those things in water for a bit, then stick 'em on a grill or in the smoker, and they cook right inside the shucks).
A fellow nurse (co-worker) slipped, fell and broker her left hip, and is out for 6 wks, so I figured on smoking a chicken for her -since it takes the same amount of time to do 1 as to do more.
Will send pix up as the smoking progresses :)

how long do you smoke it for? What kind of wood do you use? How much of the base malt grain bill is that?
Once I get my 2ndary firebox completed (so I can generate a cold smoke) I intend to make a stab at Hickory Smoked Porter.
I'll be using pecan wood and 2 row pale, smoked for about an hour..
As for how much, last winter I smoked 10 pounds and used 5 pounds in a 10 gallon batch of helles bock(about 20% of the grain bill) and it was just right, a nice light smoky flavor. Last weekend I used 3 pounds of that same batch of pecan malt in a porter. I figured since the grain was smoked 9 months ago it had probably lost some of it's smokiness so that was about 30% of the grain bill. It's a lot smokier than I expected, even in a porter. But that's just the first hydrometer sample, it may mellow out pretty soon.
I think hickory might be little intense but maybe not. It will probably take a few batches to dial in just how much smoked malt to use.

Hey Brew man dan ; I have four 6lb. chicks & two 5lb. venison hams going in on monday. The venison is cold smoked for 12hrs. @135 and then 8-10 hrs. @at175 , until internal temp is 155. Then cook in the oven @350 for 2 hrs. ,let rest and serve. The chicks will go in when I raise the temp. on the hams and will slow smoke until I raise the temp. again after taking the hams out to OOOO around 225 but they stay until the internal temp. is 185. Golden brown and smellen great. You can smoke meats as fast or slow as you want; it is the insides that have to be done. I find the longer you brine and the slower you smoke the better the finish . I use both gas and a fired smoker and prefer apple , cherry , or hard maple for smoke. So my birds can take 6-12 hrs. until inside is 185 minimum. Cheers;)

I'll be using pecan wood and 2 row pale, smoked for about an hour..
As for how much, last winter I smoked 10 pounds and used 5 pounds in a 10 gallon batch of helles bock(about 20% of the grain bill) and it was just right, a nice light smoky flavor. Last weekend I used 3 pounds of that same batch of pecan malt in a porter. I figured since the grain was smoked 9 months ago it had probably lost some of it's smokiness so that was about 30% of the grain bill. It's a lot smokier than I expected, even in a porter. But that's just the first hydrometer sample, it may mellow out pretty soon.
I think hickory might be little intense but maybe not. It will probably take a few batches to dial in just how much smoked malt to use.

Are you using a dedicated smoker for this, or did you thoroughly clean out your smoker before doing the grains? Just wondering if you're getting any "meat" flavor in there from a smoker that has been used as such for a while. What temp did you smoke it at? Did you try to get the grain spread out as thin as possible (multiple sheets), or just dump a bunch in something like lasagna tins? I'm very intrigued into trying this.

Tossing a couple briskets on the offset this evening. Smoke them 4-5 hours then finish them overnight in the oven. Tomorrow will be a good day.

Back