Bottled Spring Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
I'm brewing this weekend and using strictly store-bought bottled spring water.

Should I boil my top-off water to sterilize it? Or is it safe already?

I have used spring water right out the bottle, and it turned out fine. If anything, sanitize the outside of the jug and be done with it

The water here is probably OK. But I am trying to be on the safe side this go around because my first batch was so awful.

Sorry your first batch sucked, but there is little chance the water you used had much of anything to do with it.

It's human nature to want to point fingers at something you have no control over, when chances are something was wrong with the process.

Anyway bottled water is fine to use right out of the jug.

I'm thinking of using spring water for my next batch because I just learned we have chloromines in our water here.

I know it was my process. That is why I am taking absolutely everything into consideration this time around. No chances at all.

Sorry your first batch sucked, but there is little chance the water you used had much of anything to do with it.

It's human nature to want to point fingers at something you have no control over, when chances are something was wrong with the process.

Anyway bottled water is fine to use right out of the jug.

Hi Joetothemo,
I suspect your probably fine using bottled water, but don't think that's all that it advertises to be. A study conducted in Vancouver last May reported that it found 70% of bottled water had higher bacteria counts then the local water! The story can be found at this link:

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...ria+Canadian+bottled+water/3072771/story.html

Unless you have reason to believe that your tap water is genuinely sub standard IMO your better off saving the time and money on bottled water and just boil your tap water. As was already mentioned it's more likely that the problem with infection is not your water.

Mark

I'm brewing this weekend and using strictly store-bought bottled spring water.

Should I boil my top-off water to sterilize it? Or is it safe already?

The water here is probably OK. But I am trying to be on the safe side this go around because my first batch was so awful.

If you're trying to be on the safe side then I would boil it. It would probably be fine if you don't, but how much trouble is it to boil a little top-up water?

Have fun.

I know it was my process. That is why I am taking absolutely everything into consideration this time around. No chances at all.

Exceptionally wise approach. As to your original question, I always use bottled spring water, either the five gallon jugs that we get delivered, or one gallon grocery store bottles (yes, the water in my area is fine, it just doesn't taste great). I take no special precautions and after over 100 batches, I have no issues to report.

Yep, good to take something completely out of the equation and not have to worry about it. Good luck next round !

Hey Joe,

I live in inner SE Portland and I've always used straight tap-water for my top off water and haven't had a problem.

I think that, because I am being Mr. SafeSide, I will pre-boil the top-off water. It may be a case of "belts and suspenders" but because I screwed up so badly the first time, I'm OK taking it too far this time.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it all!

Thanks, brother. Maybe after I am a little less gunshy, I will loosen up a little. Until I get some good batches under my belt, I am going to be pretty uptight.

Nope, I use the spray attachment from my sink and top off directly to the carboy.

Back