clone brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozeboy

Reaction score
i found the book clone brews very helpful the layout is good and the beer it produces if brilliant i will reccomend it to anyone except beginners

I think the book is perfectly fine for beginners too. The writers of the book actually own a homebrewshop. They sell pre-packaged kits for all the recipes in their books (Clone Brews and its successor Beer Captured). Check them out here

i suppose this book is not meant for complete novices but with a little help anyone can use this book right now im brewing samuel smiths taddy porter which is in there somewere

I think it's pretty handy for giving us new folks an idea on what ingredients are used in a certian style of beer. Plus, you can sample a commercial brew, then look at the recipe, and have a fair idea of what tastes like what. Not that I'm saying their recipes are perfect, but it's a neat guide.

boozeboy said:
i suppose this book is not meant for complete novices but with a little help anyone can use this book right now im brewing samuel smiths taddy porter which is in there somewere

I think theClone Brews books (I have both) are OK for novices. Each brew has an extract recipe as well as an all-grain version for advanced brewers.

Next Up: New Glarus' Wisconsin Belgian Red
North American Clone Brews , pg. 147
If you ever are in Wisconsin you have to try this or the Raspberry Tart.
I usually buy about 6 bottles when I am in Wisconsin.

No Blue Moon or Goose Island 312. Darn.

Anyone ever try the 312? That's a damn good brew. I'd like to make a clone called 847.

[EDIT] I should explain. 312 is the area code for Chicago. 847 is the A.C. for the northern burbs, where I live.[/EDIT]

Cheesefood said:
No Blue Moon or Goose Island 312. Darn.

Anyone ever try the 312? That's a damn good brew. I'd like to make a clone called 847.

[EDIT] I should explain. 312 is the area code for Chicago. 847 is the A.C. for the northern burbs, where I live.[/EDIT]

I've thought about doing that too, but here ours is 757. Someone would think I'm naming it after somethign from Boeing. So I'm gonna wait til I move. :D

Cheesefood said:
No Blue Moon or Goose Island 312. Darn. ...EDIT]

I wouldn't expect one for '312 Urban Wheat' from Goose - it's just too new.

The company I worked for up until a few months ago (in fact, they closed their Chicago office two weeks ago), sold Goose a bunch of ETR's (electronic temperature controls). Our outside salesman went there to help them do a 'set-up' and they gave him a couple of cases of Summertime Ale, which he shared with all of us in the office! :D

Anyhow, they let him sample some of their "new 312 wheat beer" fresh from the tanks. This was, IIRC, late-summer of 2004! It seemed to take forever to hit the streets and we were ribbing him about making the whole thing up!

Rhoobarb said:
I wouldn't expect one for '312 Urban Wheat' from Goose - it's just too new.

The company I worked for up until a few months ago (in fact, they closed their Chicago office two weeks ago), sold Goose a bunch of ETR's (electronic temperature controls). Our outside salesman went there to help them do a 'set-up' and they gave him a couple of cases of Summertime Ale, which he shared with all of us in the office! :D

Anyhow, they let him sample some of their "new 312 wheat beer" fresh from the tanks. This was, IIRC, late-summer of 2004! It seemed to take forever to hit the streets and we were ribbing him about making the whole thing up!

I'm drinking my last 312 right now. I want more, but the store across the street doesn't sell them (yet). They do sell Goose Island Oktoberfest, which I'm enjoying now that I'm out of 312.

Born Brewing Co. said:
I think theClone Brews books (I have both) are OK for novices. Each brew has an extract recipe as well as an all-grain version for advanced brewers.

There's 2 of them? What's the second one?

Here's a list of my brew books:

1. 50 Great Homebrewing Tips – David Weisberg
2. BierErleben – Privater Brauereien – Weihenstephan, Munchen
3. Brew Classic European Beers At Home – Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz
4. Brewmaster’s Recipe Manual – Stephen Snyder
5. Clone Brews -
6. Complete Joy of Home Brewing, The New, 2nd Edition – Charlie Papazian
7. Complete Joy of Home Brewing, 3rd Edition – Charlie Papazian
8. Evaluating Beer – Brewer’s Publications
9. German Wheat Beer – Eric Warner – Classic Beer Style Series, #7
10. History of German Beer, The
11. Home Brewer’s Companian – Charlie Papazian
12. Homebrew Favorites – Karl F. Lutzen and Mark Stevens
13. Homebrewer’s Recipe Guide, The – Higgins, Kilgore, and Hertlein
14. Kolsch – Eric Warner, Classic Beer Style Series, #13
15. Making Mead – Bryan Acton and Peter Duncan
16. More Homebrew Favorites – Karl F. Lutzen and Mark Stevens
17. Radical Brewing – Randy Mosher
18. Using Hops, The Complete Guide to Hops for the Craft Brewer – Mark Garetz
19. Yeast Culturing for the Homebrewer – Rog Leistad

Can anyone recommend some more?

Not to hijack, but since we're speaking of clones, anyone have a clone of Caffrey's Irish ale? I've never heard of it, but I got a tap handle for it. I did a search and people seem to rave about it. I guess it's not available in the States.

Second batch I ever brewed was a Clone Brew. They also have a book called Beer Captured. Awesome brew. If you're in CT check out their store in Monroe.

I've had the Dos Equis out of the "Clone Brews" and it turned out great. In fact, it tasted very much like the comercial beer - but a good deal better.

Back