Sugars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
What would be the best sugar to add to a pale ale? i need one the would not give off an odd flavor, and how much should i add to each bottle? i use 22 oz bottles

Why are you adding sugar? To bottle, boost the ABV, or something else?

What are ABV's? I"m talkin bout when im about to bottle it to start the carbonation period

ABV=Alcohol by volume. Some people add sugar to raise the ABV during fermentation. Since you are using it for bottling, add 5oz of corn sugar for 5 gal of beer. Boil about a quart of water for ten minutes then throw it the sugar to dissolve it. Then add that boiled water to the bottling bucket as you are siphoning it from the fermenter. Make sure it gets mixed in order to avoid some bottles getting too much sugar and others not getting enough. You may want to stir the beer in the bottling bucket (Gently!) to make sure it gets mixed up. You don't want to mix too fast since you don't want to get any more oxygen into your beer.

bloomerjt07 said:
...and how much should i add to each bottle? i use 22 oz bottles
Save yourself a lot of headache and go with todd_k's advice (although I use more like 3-4oz...it's a matter of personal taste (and I have none)). You want to add a priming solution to your bottling bucket before bottling instead of individually spooning sugar into each bottle. You have a much, much lower risk of infecting a bottle and you don't have to worry about varying bottle sizes since each bottle will get the same amount of priming per volume.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Save yourself a lot of headache and go with todd_k's advice (although I use more like 3-4oz...it's a matter of personal taste (and I have none)). You want to add a priming solution to your bottling bucket before bottling instead of individually spooning sugar into each bottle. You have a much, much lower risk of infecting a bottle and you don't have to worry about varying bottle sizes since each bottle will get the same amount of priming per volume.

I went with 5oz because that's what my LHBS recommends. It's no secret that I've been struggling lately with over-carbing my beers so 3-4oz may be a better move.

I've actually used upwards of 7oz in a Hefeweizen which was fizzy, but proper for the style. 3-4oz usually does it for me in most other ales, but I find I can taste the beer better at a lower carbonation which I like.

Now I mostly keg and have no idea where my carbonation is, other than it works and pours right :D

I think this is related to his other recent thread in which it was revealed that he had added his priming sugar, and then left the beer in the bottling bucket for ten days before actually bottling. Since the beer is already in the bottles, I think the easiest way to carbonate them now would be to buy the carbonation drops and put a 3-4 in each bottle. I've looked around, and it sounds as though the Coopers drops are better than the Muntons, but you might want to do a little more research before you use anything like that.

I did a test batch a long time ago where I boiled the priming sugar and water mixture and used a sanitized dropper to put a measured amount of the liquid into each bottle. I divided the total amount of priming liquid by 50 and that was how much I put in each bottle. I then racked the beer into the bottles and then let them condition. This worked really well but it was to big a PITA so I never did it again.
I'm sorry but I don't remember exactly how much went into each bottle. The dropper, if I remember right, was one designed to dispense medicine for babies. It had measuring graduates on the side and was new and never used for it's intended purpose.

Back