SN Torpedo clone...OG High what to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyohill

Reaction score
So for my first all grain batch I decided to go with the BYO SN Torpedo IPA clone recipe that is floating around these boards.

For my countertop system I built and 4 gallon batch size I calculated I needed 11.2 lbs of pale malt (14lb/5G*4G=11.2lb). OG was supposed to come out around 1.070 though both "Homebrew Formulator" and QBrew estimated around 1.079 at 70% efficiency.

Mash & batch sparge went well. I collected 5G of 1.066 wort (and calculated my actual efficiency to be 69%) and boiled for 60minutes. After boil my gravity sample came in at 1.082!

I "no chilled" overnight and pitched 1 sachet of Safale-US56 this morning. I'm hoping the 11g of rehydrated yeast is up to the task of fermenting this batch. Mr.Malty's pitching rate calc. called for 12g. I figured 11g was close enough.

I've read a few horror storied here about high gravity beers stalling out and such. This is my first big beer. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that barring any unforeseen problems fermentation will go OK. I let most of my beers stay in primary for two weeks and usually bottle with no secondary. I guess I'll dry hop in primary after two weeks and bottle after another week with the dry hops.

Am I missing something?

What should I keep my eyes out for?

Best, Dave

I would go longer than 2 weeks in primary, though. I have a 1.064 IPA going with US-05 right now, and plan to go a month. I typically ferment at the low end of the scale to get a cleaner beer, and leave it in usually 4 weeks in primary only. Really cleans up the beer when you leave it on the yeast a bit longer like that, especially for high gravity brews.

Latest posts

Back