Job Hunting Sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've been "unemployed" for awhile. I put it in quotes because I've been keeping quite busy with numerous endeavors- general counsel for a start-up software company, writing a book, developing a negotiations theory for another book, riding my motorcycle, doing a little tiny bit of immigration law, building an experimental aircraft wing, and a few other things. But lately, I've gotten the itch to, you know, actually have a real job that pays me money.

When I first left my old job, I was all gung-ho about going back into law, but the more I thought about it, I couldn't bear the bull**** of a small practice. Hell, my last boss had been practicing law for three years when she hired me and she continually astounded me by her lack of knowledge of simple matters. I'd be drafting an estate plan for a guy with millions of dollars and she'd refuse to "bother" him to find out what he was worth so I could plan effectively. It was a freakin guessing game all the time. So I left.

And now I've been out for awhile and want to do something. ANYTHING. But can't seem to get my foot in the door. I'm over qualified for most things, and underqualified for everything else. Ideally I'd love to find a position that was sort of a jack-of-all-trades position. I'm sort of a renaissance man. But those positions don't exist.

So where the heck does a guy with a tiny bit of corporate tax experience, immigration law experience, estate planning, real estate, business law, and liquor control law work? Especially when he's equally interested in metal and composite fabrication, homebrewing, motorcycles, masonry and stone restoration, architecture, aviation manufacturing, etc etc etc go to find a decent job in the Chicago area? :confused:

I even thought about calling Bells up. Heard they're having problems with their Illinois distributor and I, uhhh, have a few thoughts about how to rectify that situation, but hell. I'm a nobody.

Anyways, Sorry. I guess it's just a vent here. I'm sorta pissed off these days....

Job Hunting Sucks....hmmm, what are you using for bait?:drunk:

Seems to me all those experiences should land you close to the Arizona/New Mexico border. There's gonna be a lot of new Mexican-Americans who won't know how to fill out their new tax forms or file for Social Security benefits. Habla Espanole?

homebrewer_99 said:
Job Hunting Sucks....hmmm, what are you using for bait?:drunk:

Umm... maybe some homebrew *hic* Hey... It never hurts to complain. :p

Supposedly there's a brewpub opening up near me, but they keep pushing back the opening date. Thought I should apply there... but it's a big question mark as to when they will open.

Nope. No espanol. No real interest in immigration law either, just a fair bit of experience. My downfall was the fact that I have always been involved with small businesses where multiple skillsets are useful. Unfortunately, they rarely transfer over well from job to job.

I hate job hunting. If the current start-up doesn't work out, I'll be faced with moving to get a regular job, but by that time my main skill set will be two computer generations old. At least law doesn't get outdated, the layers just keep piling up.

What kind of start up are you involved in, david? The company I'm working with a little is involved in employee training software...

How "comfortable" are you? Where in the Chi-Town area are you? You could always look to invest in a company where you have some controls. Or you could look to buy out a LHBS and differentiate yourself by offering custom brew sculptures or other fabrication. There's still money to be made in house flipping.

Plenty of immigration work needed in the NW burbs. In fact, you could find MA's looking for citizenship and have them help you rehab houses in return for free or discounted Immigration help.

Back