maximizing space in fermentation freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
So, I'm planning on setting up a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber when I have space for it. The thing, in a medium sized freezer, you can fit maybe 2 carboys.

Then I saw these the other day:
1501-6G.jpg

I checked them out. They're food grade AND they fit into a freezer. They're 6" wide, so you could probably get a half dozen of them in a medium sized chest freezer.

6-gallons each, so with fermcap they'd be just fine for a 5-gallon batch of beer. The handle on top makes them easy to lift in and out. You can take the spout off and there's a disc that goes in the lid so it'll seal.

I know people have looked at things like this to ferment in, but it just dawned on me how they'd fit in a freezer almost like cordwood.

And they're $10 each at Wal-Marche.

I know at one time I had read something about fermenter design, there was a reason they are generally short and wide as opposed to tall and narrow. Something to do with the osmotic pressure and the yeast. I'm curious to see how it works out. I could also use something like that.

Might be worth an experiment. I know there are folks on here already using things like these.

The biggest problem that I can see is cleaning. Molded plastic containers often have uneven ridges of plastic on the inside that could harbor bacteria. Also, you can't see into all of the nooks and crannies to see if you have cleaned it completely.

Latest posts

Back