Rain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 15 gal brew kettle and a burner ring.

I knew it would be a bit risky brewing outside due to the weather the past few months, haven't gone more than a couple days with out a few straight days of rain.

So I get the water almost to a boil and it starts raining. So I shut the burner off.

Now it's raining just enough to worry about contamination of the wort. Barely raining.
Debating weather or not to get back to brewing, don't want to keep the pot covered, but I'm not sure if I should take the chance. No idea what's in that rain. Or iif it will start down pouring. Knowing my luck as soon as the malt is in the clouds will open up.

OK, with a few bungee cords and an out door table umbrella brew day can be saved.
IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

I took a chance, and about half way thru the boil it started raining again.

Forget about the brown things, my good man it would appear you have a fantastic brew shack in the back ground. Brew in there and rain is not an issue, unless that is the shack where you grow the unidentified brown items we see in the picture.

Sirsloop has got it.
A Blue Moon inspired brew.

That shack in the background stores a motorcycle, various lawn equipment and chemicals, traffic lights, and other misc stuff.

I've been contemplating building a larger shed with a cooler. I've got some crazy ideas for it running thru my head. We'll see if I pick up this steam jacketed kettle. If so, I'll be brewing like mad.

Just hope the wind doesn't come up to hard... that bungie cord goes right across the burner. How about drilling (cutting) a hole the size of the umbrella tube in the table... better support.

I think it was my first all grain batch - my fiancee didn't really approve of my "obsession" as she called it and saw all this new equipment as proof that I had gone overboard. Just my luck the day goes from bright and sunny into tropical storm in 10 minutes (welcome to FL) just as I start the boil. She has pictures of me standing there, no shirt, sweating my arse off in the hot & muggy summer heat, standing over the brew kettle with an umbrella. That damn burner just about roasted me alive, I think that brew had more sweat in it than it did rain water. Oh well, it sure tasted good!!

Back