Starsan Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
I ordered a large container of Starsan and am switching to it as my sanitizer due to things i've read on these boards.

Question - a lot of you use it in a spraybottle and say it lasts forever in there. I have a 6 gallon extra bottling bucket that I'm not using with a sealed lid. I am thinking of mixing up a six gallon batch of starsan in it, sealing the top, and viola - i have 6 gallons premixed with an easy access spigot.

Anyone see any issue with this.. primarily with the risk of degrading the sanitizing power?
thanks
-tom

hmmm. not sure about the starsan in a bucket, ie not sure how much oxygen permability from the bucket will affect for long term storage. i use a 1g plastic PET bottle and that last me for months of brewing/racking. i just drain excess back into it and use a spray bottle for all the big stuff, spraying down fermenters/lids outside of canes etc. the best water for mixing starsan is RO or distilled

Starsan will make your plastics "slimy" feeling. I get a bigger container of starsan and just mix up a fresh batch each time. Starsan is cheap enough that you might as well...IMO

I keep Star San in a plastic spray bottle. I don't really care if the inside of the spray bottle is slimy. How would I know anyway? I've got a gallon in a glass bottle, and another gallon in a thick HDPE bottle. I probably won't keep it more than a month, about two brew sessions, just to be safe since I have no idea how long it will be effective.

What I'd like to have is a test to determine if it is still active and doing its job. Then I could keep it until it failed the test.

Thanks olllllo. I'll pick up some PH test strips next time I'm at my LHBS.

I may end up buying a PH meter anyway for my cheesemaking. Know of a good one?

Back