First Recipe - Red IPA(?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-R

Reaction score
I'm a noob to the forum. I've been brewing a year and stepped it up to AG two batches ago. I was planning on making an Irish Red, but when I got to the local brew store they were out of all the hops I wanted. After a using up a phone-a-friend I decided to substitute the best I could. The original plan was also for that friend to come over and brew the same recipe but I would add some different hops for a zing. I'll be shopping more ahead of time from now on, so I can order online for things they don't have. But after leaving the store and researching a bit, I think I have the grains from an Irish Red and the hops for an IPA. I'd like feedback and of course I'll update the thread as I go. Thanks!

10 lb Vienna
1 Maris Otter
1/2 crystal
1/2 barley

1/2oz Chinnook (60min)
1 oz Cascade (15min)
1 oz Centennial (flameout)

Nottingham yeast (All they had at the store)

60 min mash at 154F

Needs more hops for an IPA - at least one ounce dry hopping, but I'd consider adding both a 5 minute addition and a 0 minute addition. Your grain bill looks OK to me.

1/2lb roasted barley? flaked barley? - def need clarification on that

1/2lb of roasted barley will likely dominate the flavor

1/2lb roasted barley? flaked barley? - def need clarification on that

1/2lb of roasted barley will likely dominate the flavor

Not only that, 1/2 pound of roasted barley will get you about a 20SRM color (dark brown).

Not nearly enough hops either. Looks like it would come in around 32IBU's. A well balanced IPA should have the bitterness on par with the gravity. Your grain bill at 72% efficiency will get you a 1.055 starting gravity. (right at the bottom threshold for an IPA).

Your IBU's should roll in around 55 as well.

I would add another ounce of Cascade at around 30 minutes. That will get you to about 50 IBU's. I'd also remove the roasted barley (if that's what it is) and sub in more base grain or even some melanoidin. That will get you back to a more color appropriate IPA.

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry I meant roasted barley.

After looking at a couple more recipes I took out the barley, and bumped the crystal up to a full pound.

like a noob, I forgot to take the OG. On day 5 the Grav. was 1.014 which puts me in range for a red ale according to the wiki. [Which was the original idea.] Irish Red Ale - Home Brewing Wiki

kyleobie suggested I dry hop. I'm still trying to decide on that. I have 1/2 oz of cascade, 1 oz of Chinnook, and 1 oz of Centennial left over. Suggestions?

So in the end is this simply a bad rendition of a brown ale? Or could it be a Irish-American Immigrant? :)

The wort tasted great! I won't be pouring this out either way. Thanks again.

Centennial or Chinook are resinous and great for dry hopping. I'd go with either one. I happen to like Chinook in darker beers, but then again it's one of my favorites anyway.

If it were mine, I would use .5 oz each of chinook, cascade and centennial for dry hopping.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm going to take another reading in a few days, and I'll have a taste then and decide what to do. I wonder how many beers we like to drink were originally botched recipes.

update:
i took the gravity after a week in secondary and it was still in Irish Red range. Because of the audience I had in mind for this beer I'm not going to dry hop it. Again thanks for all the help! Because of the mixture in grain and hops used I'm going to call it Immigrant Red, here's the label in rough draft form.

beerlabel-WAY_outlines.jpg

Update: It turned out great! All the discussion about "can you have a red ipa" cracks me up because after the firat replies I've been to 3 microbreweries that have different colored "IPAs". It seems to be more about the hops profile than color, says this noob.

Anyway, about the beer. Up front it tastes like an Irish Red. Half way through to finish it tastes like an IPA. I will make this again.

Back