Teaser....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeRags

Reaction score
Project is well on its way.... some of you may have read about the 20 gallon all stainless AG system I'm putting together. Here's the beginning stages of my stand (the only thing not stainless). Picked up all this 2" square tube from the drop tent at the steel yard. $0.75/lb, 100 lbs, cost me $75.

031307_21081.jpg

Its going to be a single pump system. Elevated sanke keg for HLT, and the MT and kettle which are both 100 quart stainless pots. A 4th vessle, a sanke cut in half, will reside below the HLT and be dedicated to the HERMS coil for better control of both HERMs recirculation loop, and my sparge water temperatures. I'm getting excited!!!!

:ban:

There's a brew stand there? All I saw was a really beautiful Vette! Just kidding, nice job!

I just got done restoring a 1962 Red ext/int blk vette( P/T Job at a body shop doin full restorations). No offence I HATE FIBERGLASS. Nice lookin stand, and unltimatly good lookin car.

I noticed the car first too. :D

That looks like one beefy frame! If you are going 20 gallons, that looks great. I hope there's casters going on there because that's going to be a mother to move.

I did not even think about moving it, you are completly right. Weld
metal casters before you get too far( I made the mistake of rubber on my floor standing toolchest, it does not move too easy!) Brewsmith is so smart, he has taught me alot.

Ordering casters from McMaster today... I was even thinking of getting 8" pneumatic casters, they are like $40/ea. Either way, I think I'm going to have to trim the legs a little bit... I like the height where it is now, but need to compensate for when the casters go on. It all looks good on paper, then when you build you realize.... maybe I should have---

Thanks for the compliments on the ride... Thats my baby. Took 10 years to fully restore with my Pops, pretty much finished it this past winter.

PBRNut... yes, fiberglass SUCKS.

JoeRags said:
like the height where it is now, but need to compensate for when the casters go on. It all looks good on paper, then when you build you realize.... maybe I should have---

Can you just compensate by cutting off some of the length on the legs?

BTW, what motor you got in that bad boy? My old man always had a corvette or two (and still does). My fav was always a Marlboro Red w/black stinger 1967 427 Ci - 435hp. He bought it from some guy who kept it in his barn, and got a Bloomington Gold Survivor Certificate with in the next year. The car was in great shape too, not one of those beat to hell Survivors you usually see. Anyway, nice car...and a WHOLE lot of fun to drive (and show off) I'm sure :ban:

Dustin_J said:
Can you just compensate by cutting off some of the length on the legs?

BTW, what motor you got in that bad boy? My old man always had a corvette or two (and still does). My fav was always a Marlboro Red w/black stinger 1967 427 Ci - 435hp. He bought it from some guy who kept it in his barn, and got a Bloomington Gold Survivor Certificate with in the next year. The car was in great shape too, not one of those beat to hell Survivors you usually see. Anyway, nice car...and a WHOLE lot of fun to drive (and show off) I'm sure :ban:

Thats what I plan on doing... I'm going to cut a few inches off the bottom of the legs.

The car is a blast... its got a 500hp small block stroked to 383ci. When we bought it, it appeared to be in good shape... but when we started taking it apart... we realized it was a piece of crap. 10 years, and probably $50k later, its beautiful.

One additional idea I have for you is to mount the casters onto the bottom horizontals just away from the legs enough to clear when they swivel. Why? You can mound leveling pads into the bottoms of the legs and crank them out as "brakes" to stop the rig from moving around while brewing. This could be a 3/4" nut welded to a plate that you weld to the bottom of the legs and the leveling can be a 3/4" bolt threaded into that nut.

Bobby_M said:
One additional idea I have for you is to mount the casters onto the bottom horizontals just away from the legs enough to clear when they swivel. Why? You can mound leveling pads into the bottoms of the legs and crank them out as "brakes" to stop the rig from moving around while brewing. This could be a 3/4" nut welded to a plate that you weld to the bottom of the legs and the leveling can be a 3/4" bolt threaded into that nut.

Interesting idea.... May take that into consideration. Thanks.

Here's a photo from tonight... mind the crappy cell phone pic. I'll start an official build thread as soon as I dont forget my digi. Did a bunch more welding and squaring tonight. Just needs some final welds, casters, a coat of paint, and the stand will be ready.

031407_21281.jpg

Back