New drill good for barley crusher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
http://www.lowes.com/pd_242197-7999...||p_product_quantity_sold|1&Va=true#prod-tabs

I just bought this drill to use with my barley crusher since my cordless couldn't even get through one 5 gal batch of grain. I am mechanically challenged, so I have no idea if this will work or not. I'm hoping that someone out there with more knowledge can chime in and tell me if I'm gonna break this thing this weekend when I'm trying to grind a 10 gal batch worth of grain. Thanks in advance.

Yeah I saw that. Unfortunately after I bought it. I did get the year extended warranty just in case I do burn it up. Just wanted some informed advice. I don't know what kind of stress running a barley crusher puts on a drill.

Hmm, not too sure. I ended up buying a heavy duty low speed drill. Since its from Harbor Freight, I'm not too sure how "heavy duty" it is, but I haven't burnt it up yet. The basic idea is that you want a drill with enough torque at the low speeds to crush grain.

Hmm, not too sure. I ended up buying a heavy duty low speed drill. Since its from Harbor Freight, I'm not too sure how "heavy duty" it is, but I haven't burnt it up yet. The basic idea is that you want a drill with enough torque at the low speeds to crush grain.

High torque low speed is a must... anything that would be used to mix mortar and grout and the like would be what you are looking for.

The part I don't like is on the LOWES site it shows that it does NOT have a UL rating. I didn't think anything electric could be sold with out that rating. Anyway, I would not go near it. If I got one as a gift I would RUN not walk to my nearest LOWES and get it exchanged.

And this is why I love this site. There's always someone that knows more than you about something. I don't even know what that last post meant, but I did find a harbor freight down the road from my office and I will be stopping there soon. It's not in the best part of town, but I'll just put on my bullet proof vest and soldier on. All in the pursuit of making better beer! Or maybe just so I don't have to hand crack 20# of grain again. Thanks everybody.

And this is why I love this site. There's always someone that knows more than you about something. I don't even know what that last post meant, but I did find a harbor freight down the road from my office and I will be stopping there soon. It's not in the best part of town, but I'll just put on my bullet proof vest and soldier on. All in the pursuit of making better beer! Or maybe just so I don't have to hand crack 20# of grain again. Thanks everybody.

I am surprised also. I would have never thought there was ANYBODY on this site who didn't know what the UL (Underwriters Laboratory) rating was all about.

I work in healthcare. About the farthest you can get from IT, engineering or mechanics which most homebrewers are (at least in my experience). I don't own a home or have any clue when it comes to electronics in the least bit. At least how they work. Case in point why I won't be building that electric HERMS rig anytime soon. Thanks for the help just the same.

I work in healthcare. About the farthest you can get from IT, engineering or mechanics which most homebrewers are (at least in my experience). I don't own a home or have any clue when it comes to electronics in the least bit. At least how they work. Case in point why I won't be building that electric HERMS rig anytime soon. Thanks for the help just the same.

I think even healthcare equipment must be UL rated. Good Luck

Back