timer program for phones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Windows Mobile phone, my wife has an iPod, and I have friends with Droid phones (and I'm thinking about switching to Droid myself).

Is there an App that would work on all devices that can manage several timers for alerting for additions?

or, what language would you recommend and where can I get a compiler for doing this? I'm not afraid of learning a little bit in order to program something this simple. It's just been a long time since I've programmed.

I really want to get back into programming some tiny simple stuff that might be useful.

For timing, I use OI Countdown on my Android. One timer finishing can trigger the next, so hops additions are simple. For calculations, I use and like Brewzor.

For timing, I use OI Countdown on my Android. One timer finishing can trigger the next, so hops additions are simple. For calculations, I use and like Brewzor.

I loved that timer on the Droid, but I had to uninstall it. It would randomly start up, do alerts at bad times and run in the background. The running in the background was the worst thing about it, made your total battery life 3-4 hours.

I loved that timer on the Droid, but I had to uninstall it. It would randomly start up, do alerts at bad times and run in the background. The running in the background was the worst thing about it, made your total battery life 3-4 hours.
Yes, if it did that on mine, I'd uninstall it, too. You might write the developer and mention it.

For beer/brewing? Or in general?

I like Beer Free which allows you to save tasting notes on beers that you've tried recently.

Beer Tour is nice if you go to Old Chicago and are a participant in the tour. It tracks your beers, tells you whats on tap, and lets you rate beers.

I also have Brewzor...very nice app, but I like the look and feel of Homebrew Calculator better.

I downloaded an app called beer cloud (I think?) which was a very cool concept, but I couldn't get it to work on my phone. It requires you to use a certain barcode scanner. If you scan a beer while at the store, it'll bring up all the information on it, and user ratings.

I found one called SimpTimer, which has like a row of 6 timers that you can set and turn on and off. Basically all I'm looking for. Now to see if it's junk or if it works.

That's a great idea Revvy. I usually just carry my laptop out to the garage, but it'd be nice to do quick recipes on the fly from my droid.

Back