Newbie in Guatemala...Can I Skip to All Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeskAce

Reaction score
Hi all, I brewed a few batches years ago but have decided to get back into it, and now that I've ordered a starter kit and gear I'm wondering if it's practical to jump right into all-grain. It's relevant to me because here in Guatemala shipping stuff is expensive, time consuming and generally a pain, whereas raw ingredients are plentiful and cheap.

Is it possible with all the online resources, great forums and general availability of hand-holding for a newbie to jump in?

You'll find all the help you need. This forum is great, with individuals generous with their knowledge and experience.

Kazi

It absolutely can be done. You just need to expect to have problems on your first all grain brew day. Really, that's no different than anyone starting all grain. Whether you've done extract beers before or not, it's just as new.

Palmer said in his book that all grain brewers are usually surprised at how easy it is, and I have to agree. Once you do a few batches you'll settle into a particular way of doing it that works for you, and after that it really becomes rather routine.

I started out all grain with no brewing experience about 4 days ago and, although my process could use refinement and I made a few mistakes, it went relatively smoothly. Just make sure you start with enough water. I didn't...

+1 howtobrew.com.

I started with all grain with nothing but this book. I studied it for a long time and it helped me map out a plan and make beer.

One thing you might want to consider is dry yeast, since having supplies shipped will be a pain for you. The online version of How to Brew is not big on them, but I think they're great. I use dry most of the time now.

My first all grain batch is in the fermenter. Totally skipped extract. (well, unless you count the starter... hehehehe... couldn't totally avoid extract)

Got almost everything I needed from daily reading on this forum for about 6-8 months before purchasing my kit (which is way over the top for a newbie's rig). I had a couple resources other than HBT, like books and other brewers etc., but HBT is huge. Occasionally you get some so-so information, but most of the time it's very valuable.

Anyone notice how you are thinking of something, a question, that you want the answer to and it just happens to pop up in HBT the next morning while you drink your morning coffee? It almost always happens to me.

I read this site for about 2 months while acquiring the needed gear for AG. Aside from being nervous, I didn't have any problems on that first batch and I made really good beer. Go for it, just read all the sticky threads on this site, and anything else you can get your hands on.

Absolutely! If you are not scared, then go for it. It's actually easier than many people believe. I think most people would be better off dealing with the rest of the process without the added steps that mashing entails, but really, it's not hard. If you think you know what to do with extract, then read up on mashing and go for it!

Back