Maple Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SegmentedMonkey

Reaction score
While not a honey mead, and perhaps thus not in the correct forum, I figured that I'd ask since I seem to have discovered a trove of collected meadologists here.

I recently found myself thinking about making a mead, much like a standard sack mead, but with maple syrup as the sugar source, instead of honey. I've found a few recipes on it on the intertubes, but I was curious if anyone had ever tried it. I'm intrigued, but concerned about an overwhelmingly mapley taste. It sounds really nice, and if you went went a #2 or #3 (amber or dark) syrup, I'd wager it would have a beautiful color.

While not a honey mead, and perhaps thus not in the correct forum, I figured that I'd ask since I seem to have discovered a trove of collected meadologists here.

I recently found myself thinking about making a mead, much like a standard sack mead, but with maple syrup as the sugar source, instead of honey. I've found a few recipes on it on the intertubes, but I was curious if anyone had ever tried it. I'm intrigued, but concerned about an overwhelmingly mapley taste. It sounds really nice, and if you went went a #2 or #3 (amber or dark) syrup, I'd wager it would have a beautiful color.

I was thinking about something like this a while back as well. What recipes did you find?

Fairly simple recipes, mostly. This is a good example:

Flora's Drink Hideout: Maple Mead

Pretty much maple syrup, water, yeast nutrient and yeast. I'm emailing local maple farms for bulk pricing at the moment. I love living in the Annapolis Valley, there's tons of fruit, vegetable, honey and maple places. You can make anything here!

While not a honey mead... I recently found myself thinking about making a mead, much like a standard sack mead, but with maple syrup as the sugar source, instead of honey...
I have made at least three maple meads (Acerglyn), one of which I managed as a group brew on the BrewBoard in Jan 2006.

They all were made with both honey and maple syrup (Grade B med amber) and turned out very nice. I still have 2 bottles from my 1998 batch that I have been told taste like maple Champagne... ;)

They all were made with both honey and maple syrup (Grade B med amber) and turned out very nice.

What ratio of honey to maple did you use? Apparently there's a worldwide maple syrup shortage at the moment (likely due to the weirdly mild winters we're having in Canada this year), and the price of syrup is through the roof. I could probably wrangle a half and half mixture in order to start a maple mead.. Interesting..

I had one that did have some honey and a lot of maple and it was EXTREMELY Maple-y almost like you're drinking alcoholic pancake syrup.

I'd recommend something with a nice rounded maple flavor but not go overboard. This was 10 year old too, and it was still strong as hell on the Maple.

What ratio of honey to maple did you use?
We used 8 lb honey, 6 C (3/8 gal) maple syrup, and 2.5 gal water. Due to the cost, this was an odd-sized (smaller) batch.

My OG was 1.123, which dropped to 0.999 in 10 days. I then added another 1½ C maple syrup to sweeten (the resulting SG changes were: 0.999 -. 1.011, dropping to 1.006 over the next 30 days).

I used Uvaferm-43 yeast.

We used 8 lb honey, 6 C (3/8 gal) maple syrup, and 2.5 gal water. Due to the cost, this was an odd-sized (smaller) batch.

My OG was 1.123, which dropped to 0.999 in 10 days. I then added another 1½ C maple syrup to sweeten (the resulting SG changes were: 0.999 -. 1.011, dropping to 1.006 over the next 30 days).

I used Uvaferm-43 yeast.

Thats interesting. I just pitched a mead about a week and a half ago and I was planning on adding another batch of honey to it at first racking to sweeten. I may fore go the honey and add a few cups of maple syrup instead. Or I may abandon this idea as the more I think of it the less I really want to drink a maple drink, now that I think of it.

Here I call maple syrup black gold, it's price seems right between oil and gold. It has always been super expensive but one time walking through Costo I picked up a gallon of generic maple gold and made a basic mead out of it.
It did not last for more than 3 months in bottles, and I did not open a single bottle. My friends re-appropriated them. Stuff is great.

Back