1st bottling last minute issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasolhe

Reaction score
Of course was 3 - 32 ounce bottles short during bottling - thought i may be so found 2 - half gallon bottles that i sanitized and filled them up - ideas to cap them off...country style? tin foil and duct tape? the opening is bigger than my bottles, and of course the caps i have won't fit

nicklepickles said:
I doubt tin foil duct tape would hold pres

F***in iphone... I doubt it would hold pressure. Maybe trying corking? Any spare swingtops lying around? Theres a couple carbonated drinks that come in swingtops and work perfectly.

Put them in the fridge and drink them.

Saran wrap and rubber bands.

I've used growlers with the lids just barely tight the first three days too. After three days, tighten the caps up.

Put them in Rubbermaid buckets for a couple weeks in case they pop their tops, if they are still around, drink 'em.

ok i'll drink em
hows a no carbonated beer taste?

i need to look up again what actually happens for the next 2 week of carbonation in my bottles...i have the re-usable rubble seal grommet style caps hopefully that isn't a bad decision as well vs straight up caps - i wanted the big 32 oz bottles.

there's a small fermentation process happening in your bottles. Since there's no way for the co2 to escape the bottles, it fills up the air space and then starts sinking back down into the beer. That's bottle conditioning in a nutshell.

So my 5 gallon batch got me what's in this pic

Planning on drinking a 32 oz er every night
So 2 weeks worth of 32 oz ers (14 total)

Now the oddball fatty is my 1/2 gallon glass jug as I was short on bottles.
Decided to tin foil very tight along with very tight generously applied black tape

Hopefully my re-usable lid system works ok on the 32s

Hopefully my fatty with black tape carbonates ok - it may actually be a tighter seal than the other bottles, but wtf do i know im a newb

When i bought these bottles at the beer store he never said don't buy these, i mean he sells them, so hopefully they are nearly as good as an actual cap and i won't notice

Now for the fatty who knows - any guesses?
I have a second fatty with about 12 oz of brew in it that i tin foiled, taped, put in fridge and will drink tomorrow i guess to taste a non-carb beer - should be interesting - a first for me

man newbie's are a pain in the ass lol

2013-01-31 00.27.12.jpg

of course he didn't say not to buy them! they are way more expensive than the cheap ol long neck brown bottles with caps. He stands to make more money. Those flip tops look cool but I don't think the seal is quite as good, imho. let us know how it turns out. Also, my LHBS sells growlers 32oz with flip tops. They are like 3 or 4 bucks. Next time calculate how many oz 5 gallons is and make sure you have enough bottles

32oz a day?! That sounds like me at oktoberfest :drunk:

My guess is you'll find out if your tinfoil job will hold up within the next three days. That's what I've heard and understood is the most active bottle fermentation time.

Look on the bright side, you won't have a half-gallon bottle bomb waiting for you.

Those swing cap bottles are great for me. For a 5 gallon batch, I usually use package 5 one-quart bottles and the rest in pints. Am up to about 100 of these type bottles. Have reused them several times without changing seals.

ya man
i wanted 40 oz bottles but 32 was biggest i could find with an auto lid system...
really wanted to drink 40's! damn it

weird thing...24 hrs later the grommet bottles no foam layer on top but the tin foil bandaid bottle has a small foam at the top...i'm sure there is science to this but out of the know

My guess is you'll find out if your tinfoil job will hold up within the next three days. That's what I've heard and understood is the most active bottle fermentation time.

Look on the bright side, you won't have a half-gallon bottle bomb waiting for you.

32oz a day is only 2 pints.

....and not even Imperial pints-- the wussy American pints.

Either I'm an alcoholic and don't know it, or 32oz a day isn't a lot. I average 3-4 beers per night after work. (Either 12oz bottles or 16-20oz pints from the keg). I hardly ever catch a buzz, because it's drawn out over a few hours.

I thought I was a lightweight because a 6er will get me drunk if I drink it all within a couple hours.

If you're a cheaper date than that, good on ya! :mug:

(OT, i know. Sorry)

leftover due to missing a bottle during bottling
very flat - never tried uncarbed beer before not impressed hope 2 weeks makes it better

Back