Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine definitely went through an acetone smelling phase. It seems to have passed and the fermentation has really taken off. Smells a little sweeter (and not so flammable) now!

After three and a half weeks I bottled up my first batch of this and took it to my buddy's bday party. As some had previously said, there were some who said they didn't like sake. So I poured them a shot and told them it wasn't exactly sake and to try some. Everyone loved it! I have to say that I didn't like it quite as much as when it was warm, but it was still good. My only complaint is that I didn't make more of it from the start. I think I'll get one of those sun tea jars for this next batch and split them up and try out some flavorings. Thanks for all the info.

So I tried this using Champagne yeast and it didn't work at all, after over a month there was some slime and a very sweet/yeast smell, but I never saw the separation that any of the pictures showed, From my research it sounds like it was due to a lack of the enzymes needed to break the starch down into sugar. For the holidays I went to Vegas and stopped by the asian market there and picked up some yeast balls (the wife loves my trips for beer related stuff during vacations) and have just started my next batch, its looking more like the pictures already!

Thanks for the awesome thread

So, I separated the sake from the rice using the cheesecloth and poured it into a clean jar. It's been in the fridge for a week or two. I went to pour some this evening to try it out, but I noticed it's still fermenting. That's pretty surprising since it's so cold. It also has a filmy layer on top. Should I pull it out of the fridge and let it continue to ferment? Or, just leave it be. I'm concerned about it turning to vinegar if I pull it out of the fridge. In true home brewer fashion, I did drink a glass of it and it's great...like a fruity white wine.

Just went to the asain market and got about 50 yeast balls for $4.99 and 5lbs of sushi rice for $6.99, plan on starting four cups of this tonight.

Two things: 1) how can you possibly know the ABV on this? What makes you think it's around 20%? 2) I plan on using kmeta after 25-30 days to fully stop fermentation, I'm not blowing up my fridge lol

Just went to the asain market and got about 50 yeast balls for $4.99 and 5lbs of sushi rice for $6.99, plan on starting four cups of this tonight.

Two things: 1) how can you possibly know the ABV on this? What makes you think it's around 20%? 2) I plan on using kmeta after 25-30 days to fully stop fermentation, I'm not blowing up my fridge lol

I let mine go 22 days at ~68 degrees ambient and have checked the bottle in the fridge (swing top) every few days. Haven't had even a wisp of pressure, FWIW.

I plan on using kmeta after 25-30 days to fully stop fermentation, I'm not blowing up my fridge lol

Rule #1 in all winemaking is k-meta does not stop a fermentation. Pasteurization is the way to go with this. You can cold crash, dose with k-meta and hope....but if the yeast is there and sugar is there it will ferment. It takes little time to pasteurize.

I just made 5lb of sushi rice today, that stuff was a mess. Anyway all of it is in an ale pail in a paint strainer bag along with 6 balls. Any idea about how much this should yield?

Well I just harvested mine tonight. I used 2 pounds of rice and 2 yeast balls. I got about 3/4 of a quart. So guessing you may get around 2 quarts or so.

Well I just harvested mine tonight. I used 2 pounds of rice and 2 yeast balls. I got about 3/4 of a quart. So guessing you may get around 2 quarts or so.

Wow, I got just shy of two quarts from just correction: four cups of dry rice, but also used a bit of the red yeast rice. Interesting to see the various yields everyone is reporting. My two cup recipe gave me a bit over one quart.

So I tried this using Champagne yeast and it didn't work at all, after over a month there was some slime and a very sweet/yeast smell, but I never saw the separation that any of the pictures showed, From my research it sounds like it was due to a lack of the enzymes needed to break the starch down into sugar. For the holidays I went to Vegas and stopped by the asian market there and picked up some yeast balls (the wife loves my trips for beer related stuff during vacations) and have just started my next batch, its looking more like the pictures already!

Thanks for the awesome thread

Yes, traditional wine yeast will not break down the starches in the rice. I bet you could use amylase and get some action.
I wonder if the amylase sold in HBS is alpha vs beta enzyme, or both?
But, since we can get our hands on the yeast balls, well, why mess with tradition? I know from grain brewing this is how alpha/beta amylase enzymes come into to play during the mash:
The beta amylase enzymes are active toward the 145 degree end, which make fermentable sugars, making a dry beer. The alpha amylase enzymes are active toward the 160 degree end, making unfermentable sugars, making a sweet brew.

Happy rice wine making!

Wow, I got just shy of two quarts from just two cups of glutinous rice, but also used a bit of the red yeast rice. Interesting to see the various yields everyone is reporting.

Yeah, I thought I'd get more. My liquid never did get over the top of the rice. I didn't really soak the rice first, just steamed it. Guess I was impatient. I think my rice could have been too dry. I'll have to re-read this thread and try again.

How long does it take to settle out? Mine has been in the fridge aobut 14 hours and only have about a hflf inch of clear liquid at top. The rest is still cloudy white.

Yeah, I thought I'd get more. My liquid never did get over the top of the rice. I didn't really soak the rice first, just steamed it. Guess I was impatient. I think my rice could have been too dry. I'll have to re-read this thread and try again.

How long does it take to settle out? Mine has been in the fridge aobut 14 hours and only have about a hflf inch of clear liquid at top. The rest is still cloudy white.

Definitely soak the rice until you reach the 1/3 volume increase. I had definite clearing and cloudy layer within 24 hours. Never really poured off much sediment even after the cold settling, just seemed to have a band of cloudy wine with no noted sediment when consumed. Overall, I avoided squeezing the straining bag until the end and then I switched out collection container. That expressed cloudy wine was consumed first. In sake making they refer to that part as 'rice beer'.

Definitely soak the rice until you reach the 1/3 volume increase. I had definite clearing and cloudy layer within 24 hours. Never really poured off much sediment even after the cold settling, just seemed to have a band of cloudy wine with no noted sediment when consumed. Overall, I avoided squeezing the straining bag until the end and then I switched out collection container. That expressed cloudy wine was consumed first. In sake making they refer to that part as 'rice beer'.

saramc,

Good idea on the two vessels for collecting. Will definately soak the rice next time and if i end up with more liquid, will just gravity drain the clear stuff first and switch containers before squeezing to get the cloudy stuff.

Thanks for the tip:)

Started six cups of this today, with six yeast balls.

image-2475774811.jpg

Wow, I got just shy of two quarts from just two cups of glutinous rice, but also used a bit of the red yeast rice. Interesting to see the various yields everyone is reporting.
Are you talking about dry rice volume, or did you mean pints? I don't see how it's possible for you to have a liquid yield four times larger then your cooked rice volume. 1 quart=4 cups.

Are you talking about dry rice volume, or did you mean pints? I don't see how it's possible for you to have a liquid yield four times larger then your cooked rice volume. 1 quart=4 cups.

correction: four cups of dry rice which had been soaked and steamed did in fact yield just shy of two quarts wine. Actually I exceeded two quarts because I did not count the final cloudy red rice wine I attained at the end of straining.

correction: four cups of dry rice which had been soaked and steamed did in fact yield just shy of two quarts wine. Actually I exceeded two quarts because I did not count the final cloudy red rice wine I attained at the end of straining.
Ah, that makes more sense. Thank you for clarifying.

Had my first taste of this tonight, after harvesting yesterday. Taste was VERY VERY sweet, and consistency was much thicker than regualr wine. While there was definately some alcohol taste, it was much less than I was expecting. I don't think this is anything close to 20% ABV which it apparently can get.

It's a bit sweet for my taste, so I'll let it sit in fridge, as I understand it will change over time.

If I try again, I will probably add some of the red yeast rice to it to see if I can get better alcohol conversion.

Great thread...Thanks to sonofgrok, saramc and others for all the info and Happy New Year to all.:mug:

Had my first taste of this tonight, after harvesting yesterday. Taste was VERY VERY sweet, and consistency was much thicker than regualr wine. While there was definately some alcohol taste, it was much less than I was expecting. I don't think this is anything close to 20% ABV which it apparently can get.

It's a bit sweet for my taste, so I'll let it sit in fridge, as I understand it will change over time.

If I try again, I will probably add some of the red yeast rice to it to see if I can get better alcohol conversion.

Great thread...Thanks to sonofgrok, saramc and others for all the info and Happy New Year to all.:mug:

It sounds like your yeast peetered out on you. Adding the red yeast rice will add additional amalyse enzyme to convert search to sugar and add other fruity interesting flavors but may not help with the fermentation. Good luck with your next batch.

It sounds like your yeast peetered out on you. Adding the red yeast rice will add additional amalyse enzyme to convert search to sugar and add other fruity interesting flavors but may not help with the fermentation. Good luck with your next batch.

Thanks Aroplis. I agree, it does sound like the yeast kind of crapped out early. What would help get better fermentation/conversion? I used 2 yeast balls for aobut 2 pounds of dry sweet rice. Would more yeast help? Also, our house is about mid 60's in the winter, and I'm thinking maybe higher ferm temp may help. Mine never started bubling like some have described.

Thanks Aroplis. I agree, it does sound like the yeast kind of crapped out early. What would help get better fermentation/conversion? I used 2 yeast balls for aobut 2 pounds of dry sweet rice. Would more yeast help? Also, our house is about mid 60's in the winter, and I'm thinking maybe higher ferm temp may help. Mine never started bubling like some have described.

It is hard to say how to get a recipe like this to ferment better. In Wine/Mead/Beer you can do things like add nutrients, make a large starter........ But Rice wine is completly different. Actually the way this ferments is the perfect way to build up a strong yeast colony Because you are slowly adding sugar through the whole processes by allowing the Sachrafying enzymes to slowly break down starches into the usable sugar. That is just like how in High ABV meads we add some honey at first and slowly add honey in stages to allow the yeast to build and push it beyond its ABV limits.

Adding more yeast is usually not the best answer. Now I just re-read your post as I type and you used 2 yeast balls for about 2 pounds of rice? That is about 4 1/2 - 5 cups of dry rice. Per Sonofgrok:

I usually use 2 yeast balls per 2-3 cups (dry uncooked measurement)

So for two pounds of dry rice you may need 4 - 5 yeast balls. If the measurements you gave are correct then give that a shot.

The warmer temps will support better yeast activity so gettting the jar up to 70ish*F or so may help but I think it should still be ok in the mid 60's.

Let us know how the next batch goes.

Sorry all. I have been backpacking the Grand Canyon for the last week and just got home today.

So, I separated the sake from the rice using the cheesecloth and poured it into a clean jar. It's been in the fridge for a week or two. I went to pour some this evening to try it out, but I noticed it's still fermenting. That's pretty surprising since it's so cold. It also has a filmy layer on top. Should I pull it out of the fridge and let it continue to ferment? Or, just leave it be. I'm concerned about it turning to vinegar if I pull it out of the fridge. In true home brewer fashion, I did drink a glass of it and it's great...like a fruity white wine.

I wouldn't pull it from the fridge It might make some rice vinegar.

1. Reading and experience. I haven't actually measured the ABV but around 20% tends to be the accepted value.
2. I would pasteurize instead. I think that is the way to go with this stuff.

Rule #1 in all winemaking is k-meta does not stop a fermentation. Pasteurization is the way to go with this. You can cold crash, dose with k-meta and hope....but if the yeast is there and sugar is there it will ferment. It takes little time to pasteurize.

Agreed. I think pasteurization is the way to go.

Sounds like you maybe didn't get enough amylase activity. It should taste sweet but very strong.

Hmm, if it was mine I think I'd try to ferment it again. Pasteurize, then cool and pitch an alcohol tolerant yeast and yeast nutrient. If your aiming for 20% the only yeast I know of that will consistently ferment that high is distillers yeast. I'd probably use champagne in this case, with a target of about 15% instead. Distillers yeast is a dirty fermentor and it is likely to mess with the flavor a great deal, and require a fair amount of aging. Champagne is pretty neutral, and not so dirty. That way you don't really need the aging time.

In any event, it would be interesting to know how it turns out.
:mug:

I found these at the local Thai Grocery. What do you guys think...are they the right type?

image-917887094.jpg

So the same rice/ball ratio would apply even though these balls are smaller?

So the same rice/ball ratio would apply even though these balls are smaller?
I doubt it.

You guys who have batches done, what's the weight of the yeast balls you used? I'd like to know too. I've got a small batch going, but in the package I found the yeast balls are only 1/3 oz.

Damn it I'm hooked. I've only looked into making sake once and was turned off from the process. After reading this post I can't wait to get started. Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever distilled the end product?

I doubt it.

You guys who have batches done, what's the weight of the yeast balls you used? I'd like to know too. I've got a small batch going, but in the package I found the yeast balls are only 1/3 oz.

Mine are 10g each. Some Vietnamese ones I recently bought, also at the same weight, came with instructions. I have not been able to interpret it all BUT it says to use four balls for every 2.2kg(4lb13oz) dry rice.

Damn it I'm hooked. I've only looked into making sake once and was turned off from the process. After reading this post I can't wait to get started. Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever distilled the end product?

We cannot discuss the "d" word on this forum. But, I am sure someone, somewhere has.

I made up my batch on Sunday. So far there is no liquid but the rice level in the container has lowered. It's like the rice is being broken down, which I assume is what should happen. There is also condensation on the sides. It has a smell to it, maybe fermentation? I'm not sure but will find out!

I made up my batch on Sunday. So far there is no liquid but the rice level in the container has lowered. It's like the rice is being broken down, which I assume is what should happen. There is also condensation on the sides. It has a smell to it, maybe fermentation? I'm not sure but will find out!

Mine is the same way, filled a one gallon jar to the top with rice, but the level has been going down consistently. I'll post picture tomorrow.

Back