Gas line size for all grain stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 108580

Reaction score
So I'm trying to figure out if gas line size to feed my burners matters at all when plumbing my piping to my burners.

I see lots of people use 1/2" black pipe. Ideally, I would rather use 3/8" black pipe as the clamps I plan on using to mount to my stand are too big and wont fit if I go with 1/2".

Does the size really matter?

I have three 10" Banjo burners if that helps.

I imagine the most important part is the regulator coming off the propane tank. I have the recommended 11" Water Column regulator from brewershardware.com (same place I bought the burners).

So could I run this regulator from the propane tank to some 3/8" black Iron pipe with T's to each individual burner and not hinder gas flow causing a poor flame? I only plan on running 1, maybe 2 burners, at a time.

Assuming they're the 60000 BTU Low Pressure burners that brewers hardware sells, 3/8" should work, but 1/2" would be better. You might find you get too much pressure drop using all 3 burners at once with the 3/8" pipe.

If you're piping is less than 20' in total from tank to all burners (180000 total btu) you can get away with only running 3/8". If you have more than that run 1/2" and you'll have no problems with pressure drop.

Thanks for the responses. I had a dumb moment though when I posted this thread. I figured out I could mount the pipe on the vertical legs instead of the horizontal supports and the 1/2" clamps will work lol. 1/2" pipe it is!

For your regulator. Use the 11" wc. Same low pressure on found on grills. I'm using 1/2" pipe but frankly 3/8" is fine too, I've seen setups with 1/4" with high pressure burners with no issue. For your orifice size, you need 3/32" for a good balance of Btu and efficiency.

Yeah I have the 11" wc regulator. I need to buy the gas valves from stirplates.com and then run the piping. The stands not done yet so I haven't been able to figure out how I'm gonna lay it out.

bobbafett said:
Are you doing a single tear?
Send me a pm. I'm redoing mine right now and I'll send photos

I just tried sending you a pm but it said you can't accept them.

I'm actually doing a 2 tier with hlt and mash up top but I like looking at other brewing systems to get ideas.

Back