How to buy used propane tanks... or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I have my burner and 32Qt pot on the way and need a propane tank. Is it worth buying a used one? If so, what should I be looking for and what to stay away from. Cost for a used one?

I found a guy on Craigslist that has several for $10.00 each and has no information on them.

Here is what I know so far, which isn't much :ban:

New style valve, rounded triangle type

Told you it isn't much

Thanks in advance
Toy4Rick

Buy them and trade them in for new ones at your local gas station. Its $20 to exchange an empty for a full one. $10 is a steal! They normally go for $50 new and you get a new one every time you exchange. (kinda like CO2)

If they don't look like crap, and the valves seem solid, check the certification date (it will be stamped on the tank somewhere). Iirc, 20 pounders have around a 10-12 year expiration from their most recent certification, at which point nobody will fill them, and you're stuck getting rid of them....

Cheers!

Like JB said buy and exchange for a full one. They are expensive to buy an extra.

I found an old tank in my barn that was rusty and damned ugly. Took and traded for a bran new one.

Ive found them that are almost 20 years old and the gas stations will still take them for an exchange. I have never had someone check my tank for certification. My CO2 tank i have but NEVER my propane..

Like JB said buy and exchange for a full one. They are expensive to buy an extra.

I found an old tank in my barn that was rusty and damned ugly. Took and traded for a bran new one.

Try to low ball him...offer 5 bucks...then exchange them. LOL

I've exchanged some pretty crappy looking tanks and never had issues. Especially now with the automated exchange systems.

When you exchange a tank you are getting another used one, not a new one. When you go to those caged tanks you are spending 20.00 for 15# of propane. If you own your own tank and take it to a propane refiller you pay for what it takes to fill a tank. Around here if I take a tank in before a brew day that has 5# in it and they top it off with 15# it cost 12.00. If the tank is empty it cost 16.00 and I have 20# not the 15# you get at the gas station for 20.00.

I normally come away with new tanks. Maybe its just the particular retailer i go to. But either way. If he picks up the tanks and exchanges them for good quality "newer" one he can have that filled. The only problem is trying to find someone who will fill a propane tank in CA.. They are few and far between.

Costco has pretty decent prices on new propane tanks ... $19 last time I picked one up. IMO its worth it to find a place to have your tanks filled ... Much better prices ...

be careful...meth labs use them for off gassing. Check the valve and stems for any discoloration/corrosion...and stay well away from em.

something i had to learn thanks to new FEMA regulations on fire training

I normally come away with new tanks. Maybe its just the particular retailer i go to. But either way. If he picks up the tanks and exchanges them for good quality "newer" one he can have that filled. The only problem is trying to find someone who will fill a propane tank in CA.. They are few and far between.

I know this first hand. Although I found out a Uhaul near-ish my house fills propane. Kind of random but it works. They also have some sweet tanks with level gauges on them. I asked a guy re-filling Uhaul's propane tank (some gas company dude, not a Uhaul guy) and he said the gauges work pretty well to gauge the level of propane left.

be careful...meth labs use them for off gassing. Check the valve and stems for any discoloration/corrosion...and stay well away from em.

something i had to learn thanks to new FEMA regulations on fire training

How does that work? They fill the tanks with gas produced from the process so it can be let out at a more "convenient" location so not to raise suspicion? How do they get the pressure to fill them is that is the case? Just wondering the how and why, I believe you.

jgln said:
How does that work? They fill the tanks with gas produced from the process so it can be let out at a more "convenient" location so not to raise suspicion? How do they get the pressure to fill them is that is the case? Just wondering the how and why, I believe you.

Meth heads typically use propane tanks to steal and transport anhydrous ammonia. This causes the corrosion on the brass and can stress the tanks because they are not designed to handle the pressure exerted by anhydrous which more often than not can cause the tanks to fail. If you see any blue/green on the brass, stay far far away. There are some pictures in this PowerPoint.

http://www.nationaldec.org/goopages...=12660.ppt&orig_name=nadec_-_clan_lab_one.ppt

I've picked up many propane tanks at the town recycling center. They have two pallets out there with signs: "full tanks" and "empty tanks". They don't care if you grab them. I've taken full ones with the appropriate OPD valves, used them and exchanged for a "newer" tank at Blue Rhino. After getting the nicer tank, I then get them refilled to a full 20 pounds which is much better than the BR 13 pound rip off fill.

I've gotten a couple of mine from a hardware store that refills them...they won't refill the old valves so the customer bus a new tank...i take them and exchange them...lol

Latest posts

Back