Substituting partial-mash to extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyHobbit

Reaction score
If I wanted to substitute part of an extract recipie and do a partial mash for a fraction of the extract, how would I best calculate this? Is it a pound for pound conversion?
I JUST finished my first partial mash (IPA) and want to incorporate the partial mash into an extract recipie.
Thanks!

No, it's more like 1 pound of grain to .6 pounds of DME or .75 pounds LME. If you have some brewing software it can help. Or one of us would be glad to help you convert it.

This recipie calls for 7 lbs of light malt ex. Can I do 6 lbs extract and 1 1/2 lbs partial mash of a pale malt or something similar to this?
Thanks-

I do PM for the majority of my brews now, I typically mash ~3 lbs base malt, .5-3 lbs of specialty grains and then augment with ~3lbs LME/DME to hit the gravity. If I am going through the extra work of PM I want to reduce the cost of the batch, cutting extract is the best way I know.

Just make sure your extract to grains are about a 50/50 mix.

Another thing I do is use LME for 3.3lbs or whatever container size I have and then use DME for the rest. Save money with LME but try to use DME as much as you can for various reasons (color, taste, anti twang).

Back