Should you be able to see through a Brown Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
A friend and I were having this discussion. I brewed an extract Brown Ale and used Beersmith for my calculations. Although, it was rather low on the SRM scale, it did fit the category.

Anyway, I took a sample for my hydrometer readings and noticed that it was EXTREMELY clear. Clearer than my last Blonde Ale in fact.

My friend who brews a "house" Brown, thought that it would not be a "brown ale" if it was that light colored????

I think it should be dark enough so you could see a light source through it but not see through it just holding it up to your eye. Abita turbo dog is, IMO, a good american brown ale. I think a brown ale should look more like that than like Newcastle, but an english brown ale might be a little lighter.

Clarity doesn't really matter IMO. If your SRM is in the style guidelines, then it is fine. Light and dark is a different issue than clear and cloudy...

Also your hydrometer reading will be a lot thinner since it's a smaller amount. Beer in the carboy always looks darker than in the glass. But if it fits the guides then it's good.

Also your hydrometer reading will be a lot thinner since it's a smaller amount. Beer in the carboy always looks darker than in the glass. But if it fits the guides then it's good.

I found out how true this is today. Im fermenting a cream ale, its a deep dark yellow color in the fermenter, almost brown. When I shine a light through it on the other end its a deep red color. But my hydro reading looks like a cloudy Bud.

I would say yes, you should be able to see light thought a brown ale, be it American or English. Might not be able to see a clear image, but I would think light should transmit or you are getting into Porter territory.

I would say yes, you should be able to see light thought a brown ale, be it American or English. Might not be able to see a clear image, but I would think light should transmit or you are getting into Porter territory.

In reality there is probably some overlap. Style 12A is a brown porter afterall.

Depending on what style of brown ale you are brewing, it should fall somewhere between light and dark brown. All of them should be brown in some way, and all should be clear.

TL

I just looked at the BJCP; both Northern (11C) and American (10C) Browns should be clear. Sorry, I didn't realize they addressed clarity. I thought they only mentioned colors...

Thanks for all the info guys!

I'm getting psyched about the Brown. The last hydrometer reading tasted great flat and boy was the beer clear! Brown, but clear.

Back