How long to lager for??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
Ive made a coopers lager extract recipe
Using saflager yeast a tin of coopers lager 1kg of brew enhancer 2 and 300g of dex and will be dry hopping 15 g of hersbruker hops.i fermented for 13 days at around 12 degrees celciues. When fermaentation had finished i racked to my glass carboy and bought the temp down to about 3 or 4 degees celcius for cold conditioning. Its been cold conditioning for about a week now but im getting inpatiant as ive run out of beer. Im thinking of chucking the hops in now for a further 7 days then kegging it. So all up will have about 2 week of cold conditioning. Will it be ok after only 2 weeks of CC?? The beer is nice and clear after primary so im not fussed about that and also will it make much of a diffrwnce to the taste ? Or is 2 weeks CC not long enough??

If its clear, IMO, its ready. Don't dry hop it. Its not appropriate and you'll have to wait again for the hops to clear out.

Ok thanks for the advice. What if i chuck the hops in a hop bag with a few marble to sink it to the bottom then wait about 7 days? Will that work? Ive never dry hopped before so rhis is new to me. Im just after aroma and possibly a slight bit of flavour.

Will it make a huge diffrence having only an extra 2 weeks tho? I will be kegging it and it will be in the keg at that temp anyway for at least a couple of weeks. When u say it should be in there for at least 4 weeks? What are the main benifits? Taste?? Coz im happy with how clear the beer is now

I don't have a lot of lager experience, but on the few occasions I've done lagers I've noticed a big difference with a few extra weeks cold conditioning. The beer went from kind of bad to pretty good.

That said, if you’re kegging the beer I guess you could cold condition it in the keg. Then you can taste it once a week and see for yourself how the flavor changes over time.

Back