Hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxofjibboo

Reaction score
I took my hydrometer reading 2/3 after putting in fermenter. It read 1.005, I either read it wrong or it was very low. Is it okay to open and check again or should I wait the full 2 weeks and do it again before bottling?

You want to check it again before fermentation occurs so you know what your original gravity is. 1.005 is insanely low so I expect something is wrong with the measurement.

If you are brewing in a bucket take a sample out with a sanitized spoon and do another reading. Before doing this make sure your hydrometer isn't bad. Take a reading of some tap water ( or better yet, distilled water) and you should get a reading of 1.000. If your hydrometer measures water at 1 then check the beer again.

I'm curious about that too, but I'm guessing it's Feb. 3rd (2/3). If so, it's too late now to take a reading for OG (original gravity) since it's already started fermenting.

I assumed the 2/3 meant he had poured two thirds in the fermenter before taking a reading. But yeah, 2/3 as a date makes sense too and if so you're right, definitely too late to take an original gravity reading.

So I looked at my hydrometer tonight, it doesn't even read 1.005, well it does, but it's not marked 1.005 I would have had to read the ml or whatever to get that. It must have been 1.05. Thank you everyone for helping me out. Cheers!

Back