Buckwheat Honey Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
I'm working on a custom recipe...I'm pretty new to this but what do you guy think?

9 lbs US 2-row pale
2 lbs Rye malt
1 lb white wheat
1 lb cara pils
1 lb crystal 120
1 lb of local Buckwheat Honey (very flavorful honey)
1/2 lb flaked rye
1/2 lb flaked wheat
1/2 lb rice hulls
1/2 oz german magnum (60 mins, 13.6%)
1 oz czech saaz (20 mins, 4%)
1 oz czech saaz (5 mins, 4%)

I'm going to put this right on top of a yeast cake from an Uber Pils once it's done fermenting. It used German Lager WLP830

Do I need to crush the flaked wheat/rye?

Sounds Like a good recipe.
Are you going to clean the yeast at all or just put it right on top the cake as it sits. I've dropped a second darker beer right on yeast cakes with good results, but it can be a litter 'over pitched'. I've also drained the yeast, floated off the trub and portioned it back in a little closer to the correct pitching amount with good results.
Either way, I would like to know how this turns out. Especially using 'Buckwheat' honey.
They say flaked grains do not need to be crushed. Mine end up through the crusher if they are not a big portion of the grist.

I'm going to just put the beer right on top of the yeast cake and then agitate it with my electric drill and attachment to introduce oxygen to it.

It turned out pretty good! The honey is pretty subtle, but there. I think next time I'll use more honey, maybe 2 lbs max.

I'm curious about my hop choice for the bittering addition. I had to use German Magnum at 13% AA because that's what I had laying around. There is definitely a little bit of bitterness and I can't tell if it's the Rye or if it's because I used such a high alpha acid hop?

BeerSmith says my IBU's are pretty much right in the middle for an American Wheat or Rye beer. I know usually people would probably use a lower alpha acid hop than I used.

So I guess my question is: if you get 15 or so IBU's from an ounce of lower AA hops is it the same as 15 IBU's from a 1/2 ounce of higher AA hops?

Okay, so I guess what I'm tasting is the Rye then. I've had plenty of Rye beers before and it never quite came through this much. I really enjoy the flavor this recipe produced so I think I'll keep the rye the same, but I could see the rye being reduced just a bit to appeal to the average beer drinker.

Back